E: Engine Running-In Oil

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was looking at the Morris Lubricants website (UK) and noted that they sell a "Running-In Oil" for use in fully rebuilt automotive engines which "promotes the quick and safe bedding-in of mating surfaces" and "helps to remove the machining glaze from cylinder bores, assists the formation of essential oil retaining surfaces, and therefore prevents the possibility of bore polishing".

Is there any expert opinion out there as to the effectiveness of such a brew? And what does it do, or what does it have in it, that differs from "ordinary" automotive oils? Will it hurt my newly rebuilt Vincent engine? Or is it just a fond hangover from decades ago when running-in was an essential and delicate activity?

Peter B

greg brillus

VOC Member
Most "Running in " oils are reasonably thin in viscosity to allow the oil to flow quicker and lubricate critical parts faster.........It's a bit "old School" now, like all the oil additives available years ago. On most all these bikes i run a 15 w 40 Diesel oil that is plenty thin enough and has plenty of zinc to lube the cams and followers more critical that any other parts in these engines as they are so small and highly loaded..........Cheers......... Greg.

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Ah Peter, the oil question.......... ask one question and get a thousand answers.
When Glyn Johnson rebuilt my 49 Rapide engine about 8yrs ago, it was run in with Rock Oil Classic 40 for a couple of thousand miles. Then on Glyn's recommendations it was drained thoroughly and replaced with Rock Oil TRM 20W60, which is a synthetic oil. He also warned me to NEVER use any other synthetic oil. For peace of mind, I spoke with a guy at Rock Oil who said that TRM was perfect for a Vincent V-twin.
Its about £50 a gallon but I've used it ever since.
Jon Lambley

A_HRD

VOC Member
Ha, let's not go there - it'll take-up way too much bandwidth to hear everyone's oil preference!! Just seeking views on "running-in oils" - are they needed or not?

Peter B

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Ha, let's not go there - it'll take-up way too much bandwidth to hear everyone's oil preference!! Just seeking views on "running-in oils" - are they needed or not?

Peter B
If it were me, I'd ask Morris Lubricants for their opinion

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
These days I use expensive oil, and justify the cost on the basis that compared to a 1000 miles worth of 4* leaded petrol (available from Platts Garage in Marlow) the cost of a few pints of expensive oil is inconsequential. The worst thing I did as a callow youth (relating to oil that is) was to run something called flushing oil through my Rapide engine and oil tank until the engine and oil was hot, I think the engine was pretty tired anyway, it certainly was when I had finished flushing all the debris from the oil tank and elsewhere around the engine.