E: Engine Running-In Oil

Old Bill

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Peter, l am no expert on oils but l have used Morris running in oil for some years in both Vincent and BMW engines. lt was explained to me some years ago that running in oil contains very few additives, is of a low viscosity and therefore promotes bedding in of rings and carbon formation where required. l drain it after 500 miles, flush with flushing oil and then install regular oil which in my case is Morris Golden film 20/50. Not had any grief with it and have some very sweet running motors. Just my experience, others may have a different take on it. Mind how you go............

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Presumedly you use flushing oil to get rid of the running in oil and any debris that that has created, I think my big mistake was to introduce flushing oil into a filthy engine and oil tank, I might just as well have poured some gravel into the oil tank.

vibrac

VOC Member
Diddent some racers in America throw dust in their rebuilt racers when they had just been built and a race was imminent to run them in?
Or was that just a story in the Cycle World 'duct tapes' ( I await comments from USA?)

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Peter h, l think your presumption is correct in that introducing flushing oil into a severely contaminated lubrication system is courting disaster, you are not alone my friend!!! Whilst l can't prove running oil helps l can say that when the rebuilt motors get there regular oil they do sound sweet:) Mind how you go...........