Rubber

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The footrest is on the deck and unless I allowed it to fold up there would not be a lot more lean angle to gain.

Have you tried swinging the footrest hangers a bit forward to gain more clearance? Of course, if you are using all the tread now, they are perfectly adjusted! :)

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
Mileage

I got about 5000m out of the rear Avon Roadrider. A good tyre but the middle is too soft. I would like to get the Bridgestones.

Chris.

Howard

VOC Member
I'm glad you think the picture may be flattering the lean angle because to me it actually looks a little disappointing. The footrest is on the deck and unless I allowed it to fold up there would not be a lot more lean angle to gain. If the picture was more 'head on' then the angle could be better appreciated.

I always feel the same, I think it's an optical illusion, perhaps we turn our heads so that we feel the angle is greater, but if you're using all the tread there's nowhere else to go.

H

Howard

VOC Member
Still on the subject of tyres, but a slight aside. At one of the Curborough Twisty Sprint meets several years ago, one of the pukka hill climb guys was selling "worn out" tyres for road use ............ They were virtually new in the centre of the tread, but had almost no tread at the edges ............ that's cornering that most of us can only dream of.

H

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Still on the subject of tyres, but a slight aside. At one of the Curborough Twisty Sprint meets several years ago, one of the pukka hill climb guys was selling "worn out" tyres for road use ............ They were virtually new in the centre of the tread, but had almost no tread at the edges ............ that's cornering that most of us can only dream of.

H

Here in the Midwest USA, it is very flat and the suggestion was made that we could send our worn out in the center tires to the UK so that the sides could also get used.

Howard

VOC Member
Here in the Midwest USA, it is very flat and the suggestion was made that we could send our worn out in the center tires to the UK so that the sides could also get used.

I'll ask around at the next hillclimb, perhaps you can set up some kind of exchange deal.:D

H

Robert Watson

VOC Member
When Avon stopped making their various Venom/Super Venom/New Roadrunner etc I called their main number and had quite a chat with one of their "people" He certainly intimated that the new Roadrider would give good mileage like the Roadrunner (AM??) that it replaced and grip like a Super Venom. I can't recall if he actually said dual compound, however it would not surprise me if it was.

I used to get about 5000 miles from a rear Super venom (120/90 - 18) and upped that to around 8000 on a Road rider. That's usualy done about 80% two up with luggage. A Roadrider in Australia barely made 7000 - I think due to slightly heavier than normal load, the heat and the seemingly more coarse and sharp rock used on the roads.