Rubber whats happened?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This is not completley a Vincent thread but its my opinion the general quality of rubber used on classic motorcycles and cars has gone to pot over the last 5 years here are my findings
rubber wiring ties 1 year and they are cracked or broken
the straps on my skitsu rev counter one season and I have to renew them
rubber surrounds on lights and reflectors on my kit car black carbon exudes when washing, cracking apears after one year (car kept in garage and low mileage every year)
I am sure twas not like this in yester year are there any tests at point of purchase that may ease my pain? Is it just another unavoidable sympton of eastern manufacturing using sub standard material? or is it those damm greens forcing us to change specifications to save the one legged green billed eider duck?

Howard

VOC Member
I know what you mean, but I put all these things down to rose coloured specs and old age, pity we can't go back and confirm it wasn't always thus.

H

ps Can't find the one legged green billed Eider duck on Google, looks like it's a gonner, maybe we can go back to real rubber again.

davidd

VOC Member
I am also surprised at how quickly the Scitsu straps crack. I would like to blame them, but I ordered some high quality material to do the replacements and it does exactly the same thing in the same time. I would guess it is the UV rather than vibration, but I looked for UV resistance when I ordered. Until my coupon is used up, I will replace them every year.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes I know , but David I am talking UK racing 50% no sun at all and 358 days in a dark garage and the straps crack?
looks like I shall have to reserch some replacement ones I have to come under a budget of £6.00 pa it cant be rocket science

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Tim,
Not sure that it will be suitable for your Scitsu mounts but I use a Stanley knife to cut rubber bands of various widths from old inner tubes. I keep a few of these in the tool tray/jacket pocket for emergency securing straps, temporary return springs, etc. You can "daisy chain" them together if you need more length and best of all they don't cost anything. (Good to hear your racing budget has increased to £6.00! Have you found a rich sponsor?;-))
Yes I know , but David I am talking UK racing 50% no sun at all and 358 days in a dark garage and the straps crack?
looks like I shall have to research some replacement ones I have to come under a budget of £6.00 pa it cant be rocket science