Royal Mail

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This morning I received a nice post card from Royal Mail. They were unable to deliver a package because insufficient postage had been paid, so I would have to collect it from the sorting office (6 miles away) and pay a handling charge of £1 – the excess postage due was 11 p, and the RM had had to pay someone to deliver the card!

I spent an hour of my time, used £1.50 of petrol and extended traffic queues by an extra car, doing untold damage to the environment, just to collect the package.

Now....... The padded envelope had a first class stamp on it, the value of which was sufficient for second class delivery, but because the stamp said “first class” they couldn't deliver it second class, so I had to pay an extra £1.11 for a worse than second class service.

And what was in the package? A replacement phone cable sent free of charge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Welcome to the new cost efficient, customer satisfaction driven, global economy. Oh, and when you receive the customer satisfaction survey request make sure to fill out only positive reviews and 5 stars in all categories. Wouldn't want anyone to think anything is running less than absolutely smoothly would we? I've noticed that most items received via the post cost more in postage than the item itself. I really do sympathize with you Howard it's seems the ridiculous and absurd just keeps piling up higher and higher.
Steven

A_HRD

VOC Member
I still don't get why people use the Royal Mail any more. There are now a large number of couriers (in the UK anyway) that provide extremely efficient and cheap value-for-money services to most parts of the globe. I just couriered an 8 Kg parcel to Oz for a 3rd of the Royal Mail/Parcelforce rate - and it included tracking and insurance too. It was collected from my house and arrived with the happy recipient 3 days later!!! Bargain! Royal Mail? Bah.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
I ordered a part in Melbourne yesterday at 8.30am it arrived 3 pm today it Adelaide 900kms from Melbourne, not Australia post, but a company owned by them, if I had used Australia post it would take a week that's the crazy world we live in.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Who did you use Peter?

'UKMail', also trade as' ipostparcels' and something else too I seem to remember. They've got a summer special of 12% off at the moment, and if you join Quidco and go in via that website you get a further 10% off as cash-back! Oh and no VAT on International Post! Win, win, win and win!

No connection - only a very satisfied customer, etc…

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Howard

VOC Member
Today I got a package, delivered by Royal Mail.

The envelope was soaking wet and ripped. It was in a RM plastic bag with an apology for the condition and of course they have reimbursed me my £1.11 ….................................. as if!!!!

H

Goffy998

VOC Member
I post 10 to 15 packages a day by Royal Mail & although the occasional one takes a little longer to arrive than expected I can only say that I find the service good. One small package was recently lost but that was the first in over 2 years. I send most things second class (not signed for) & sometimes they arrive the next day.
Overseas mail especially over 2KGs with Parcelforce is expensive but you don't have to measure it, weight it & make a phonecall to book it, or spend a lot of time faffing with a website. Peter B I haven't tried UK Mail as yet.
Hermes has the PO beaten on price for over 2KG UK parcels, but they are slow. Sometimes very slow. The aftersales service is from India, also slow.
Hermes also don't take motor vehicle parts, but they've been taking my 'plumbing fittings' for a couple of years now.

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 4

Howard

VOC Member
Maybe I've upset them at some point, but I dread receiving anything they deliver.

A couple of years ago I bought most of a new bathroom suite on ebay from various suppliers. On the day they were going to be delivered, I had to be out of the area for a work meeting, so I left a note on the door "Please leave deliveries in the porch, or Mr Biddulph at No 25 has a key, and will help you to leave parcels in the house". I returned to find the porch and hallway full of multi-point shower, shower tray, shower cubicle, sink, toilet and fittings................................................ and...................................... and ......................................... a card from the Royal Mail saying there was no one in, so they'd taken the SHOWER OUTLET back to the depot!!!!

I do get things via RM without problems, so why can't they be consistent?

H

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I understood that Royal Mail in the UK had been privatised. Is that so?

If yes I would have thought that the prefix Royal no longer applied.

Maybe Ripoff Mail??????