Misc: Everything Else Routing of cables on a 1951 Rapide

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My friend Richard has just had a nasty accident he hit pot hole on his twin with Brampton's and the front brake cable hooked on to the handle bar clamp nut, pulled the brake on, locked the wheel, pulled the stop out of the brake plate, rotated the wheel till the brake lever boss hit the fork and half tore that out .This was at 70 mph
He is battered but OK but it goes to show the most minor detail I certainly would not think about can be important so watch the cable runs.

erik

VOC Member
I hope you can see how I did it.
360.JPG

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My friend Richard has just had a nasty accident he hit pot hole on his twin with Brampton's and the front brake cable hooked on to the handle bar clamp nut, pulled the brake on, locked the wheel, pulled the stop out of the brake plate, rotated the wheel till the brake lever boss hit the fork and half tore that out .This was at 70 mph
He is battered but OK but it goes to show the most minor detail I certainly would not think about can be important so watch the cable runs.
Did he have the correct brake cable fitted? Bramptons should have the long brake cable from the handlebar lever go down the right side of the forks (timing side). This can be seen when looking at original factory photos.

This is different to the brake cable used on the Girdraulics which crosses over the top of the forks to the left side and so is longer. If you use this brake cable on Bramptons and let it cross over to the left side then you can get the cable hooking up just as described.

I don't know if VOC Spares sell the correct brake cable for Brampton forks.

Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
You can see in this photo the brake cable coming through the fork links down the timing side when fitted with Bramptons.
1570526803660.jpeg

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
On my 1948 Rapide, the long cable goes to the left side. In my notes, I have a picture of another 1948 Rapide that it is also on the left. In another thread someone commented that early Series B were on the right (like series A), then it was moved to the left. I hope I got that right. I was thinking of swapping sides, but my cable seems long enough to avoid the mishap described by vibrac.