Misc: Everything Else Routing of cables on a 1951 Rapide

Phil Arundel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The renovation of my Rapide has progressed to fitting the throttle cables etc etc.
Is there any definitive information on the correct routing of all cables ....... and come to that routing of the wiring harness ( although I guess this will naturally work itself out.
Thanks
Phil Arundel

Phil Arundel

VOC Member
Further to my post - I have examined photos in various publications - particularly
Original Vincent Motorcycle - The Restoers Guide To Post War Singles And Twins by JP Bickerstaff. This has been very useful but leaves a few mysteries to cable routing.
Thanks
Phil

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes but have you searched above in the search box with the phrase 'cable route' ?:oops:
our esteemed webmaster has made the archive available to all....
we can all be experts now

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
To my mind, a standard vin is a good ride. But is a cosmetic disaster area. the pipes and wiring need a lot of thought to tidy it all up. Sit on a chair next to the bike with a cup of tea and a note pad. make sketches, most of the nasty cables can be made to almost disapear. Provided you have the skills to make custom cables.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Just about every Vin I see has the cables and/or wiring all in the wrong places and it makes the bike look very untidy. You can not buy the throttle/air cables all made to suit, these need to be made/finished yourself to get a neat and tidy job. The clutch/decomp cables with the adjuster down to the rear of the engine are much easier to adjust and gets the adjusters away from the headstock and upper link that is moving all the time.

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
The MOD version has the adjuster down near the rear cylinder. The reason is on original cables the adjuster was quite small more modern adjusters are long and can clash with the top link giving a poor run. As the cable does not need adjusting once set up and settled the VOCS came up with an alternative.

Last edited:

litnman

VOC Member
Ian, I suspected that and just finished changing my new cables to do just that.
Seven cables with adjusters fighting for space up above is just too busy for
looks and space.