• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Misc: Everything Else Routing of cables on a 1951 Rapide

Phil Arundel

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
The renovation of my Rapide has progressed to fitting the throttle cables etc etc.
Is there any definitive information on the correct routing of all cables ....... and come to that routing of the wiring harness ( although I guess this will naturally work itself out.
Thanks
Phil Arundel

Phil Arundel

VOC Member
Further to my post - I have examined photos in various publications - particularly
Original Vincent Motorcycle - The Restoers Guide To Post War Singles And Twins by JP Bickerstaff. This has been very useful but leaves a few mysteries to cable routing.
Thanks
Phil

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes but have you searched above in the search box with the phrase 'cable route' ?:oops:
our esteemed webmaster has made the archive available to all....
we can all be experts now

Phil Arundel

VOC Member
Yes but have you searched above in the search box with the phrase 'cable route' ?:oops:
our esteemed webmaster has made the archive available to all....
we can all be experts now
Thank you - didn’t know it existed - do now !

Reactions: L21

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
To my mind, a standard vin is a good ride. But is a cosmetic disaster area. the pipes and wiring need a lot of thought to tidy it all up. Sit on a chair next to the bike with a cup of tea and a note pad. make sketches, most of the nasty cables can be made to almost disapear. Provided you have the skills to make custom cables.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Just about every Vin I see has the cables and/or wiring all in the wrong places and it makes the bike look very untidy. You can not buy the throttle/air cables all made to suit, these need to be made/finished yourself to get a neat and tidy job. The clutch/decomp cables with the adjuster down to the rear of the engine are much easier to adjust and gets the adjusters away from the headstock and upper link that is moving all the time.

litnman

VOC Member
What is the difference between the HB10AS/MOD cable and the HB10AS cable?

Ian Savage

VOC Member
The MOD version has the adjuster down near the rear cylinder. The reason is on original cables the adjuster was quite small more modern adjusters are long and can clash with the top link giving a poor run. As the cable does not need adjusting once set up and settled the VOCS came up with an alternative.

Last edited:

litnman

VOC Member
Ian, I suspected that and just finished changing my new cables to do just that.
Seven cables with adjusters fighting for space up above is just too busy for
looks and space.

vibrac

VOC Member
My friend Richard has just had a nasty accident he hit pot hole on his twin with Brampton's and the front brake cable hooked on to the handle bar clamp nut, pulled the brake on, locked the wheel, pulled the stop out of the brake plate, rotated the wheel till the brake lever boss hit the fork and half tore that out .This was at 70 mph
He is battered but OK but it goes to show the most minor detail I certainly would not think about can be important so watch the cable runs.

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My friend Richard has just had a nasty accident he hit pot hole on his twin with Brampton's and the front brake cable hooked on to the handle bar clamp nut, pulled the brake on, locked the wheel, pulled the stop out of the brake plate, rotated the wheel till the brake lever boss hit the fork and half tore that out .This was at 70 mph
He is battered but OK but it goes to show the most minor detail I certainly would not think about can be important so watch the cable runs.
Did he have the correct brake cable fitted? Bramptons should have the long brake cable from the handlebar lever go down the right side of the forks (timing side). This can be seen when looking at original factory photos.

This is different to the brake cable used on the Girdraulics which crosses over the top of the forks to the left side and so is longer. If you use this brake cable on Bramptons and let it cross over to the left side then you can get the cable hooking up just as described.

I don't know if VOC Spares sell the correct brake cable for Brampton forks.

Simon

vin998

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
You can see in this photo the brake cable coming through the fork links down the timing side when fitted with Bramptons.
1570526803660.jpeg

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
On my 1948 Rapide, the long cable goes to the left side. In my notes, I have a picture of another 1948 Rapide that it is also on the left. In another thread someone commented that early Series B were on the right (like series A), then it was moved to the left. I hope I got that right. I was thinking of swapping sides, but my cable seems long enough to avoid the mishap described by vibrac.

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?