Rocker Adjustor Fouls The Cap

• Thread starter carlhungness@verizon.net
  • Start date
C

carlhungness@verizon.net

Hi:
I purchased a new rocker arm and adjustor bolt ET27. The new bolt protrudes one full thread higher than the other three on the bike when adjusted. Thus, the hex fouls the ET24 inspection cap. I received good advice from the jtanners immediately on fixing the problem, from grinding the cap, to cutting the hex off and making a screwdriver slot.
I have since learned there msy be a hex socket bolt available which sounds like a perfect fix.How does one learn about the modified parts such as stronger clutch springs, kit to fix the compression release tube leak, etc. I have never seen such advertised.
The rocker seems to clone the old one, so this ham-fisted mechanic cannot ascertain why there is a height difference. I believe my pushrods are 5 7/8", possibly 5 15/16 and they were all the same when I installed them.Has anyone had to install varying pushrod lengths, and how many lengths are there?Are our new Inspection caps the same depth as the originals?

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Carl - you may be sorted now but here is my thought...

Hi Carl,

I've been on vacation but reading your notes on JTAN, thought I would just add that I had a non-rotating pushrod (try searching for that on the forum to read the thread) and found that it is quite possible for the work end of the pushrod to be a little too large to drop into the cup on the cam follower - I polished mine down in an electric drill using some very fine emery paper and metal polish until it sat in nicely - it may well be that your pushrod just was not sitting down into the bowl of the follower properly.

Have you got it all sorted now?

Stuart

Hi:
I purchased a new rocker arm and adjustor bolt ET27. The new bolt protrudes one full thread higher than the other three on the bike when adjusted. Thus, the hex fouls the ET24 inspection cap. I received good advice from the jtanners immediately on fixing the problem, from grinding the cap, to cutting the hex off and making a screwdriver slot.
I have since learned there msy be a hex socket bolt available which sounds like a perfect fix.How does one learn about the modified parts such as stronger clutch springs, kit to fix the compression release tube leak, etc. I have never seen such advertised.
The rocker seems to clone the old one, so this ham-fisted mechanic cannot ascertain why there is a height difference. I believe my pushrods are 5 7/8", possibly 5 15/16 and they were all the same when I installed them.Has anyone had to install varying pushrod lengths, and how many lengths are there?Are our new Inspection caps the same depth as the originals?