VOC Member

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Points I think I have picked up someone needs to confirm my first assessment
Won't affect bikes till 2022
If mod was done before 1988 it's OK how the heck you prove that I don't know
The nasty one is 1.13 if it has a replacement frame then it don't pass the bar
I also wonder what the mot test will consist of for these altered non historics if it's treated as modern that's it time to sell the bits.
We don't have e a lot of time but we should not shoot from the hip this needs a country wide discussion and the internet is the only way in the time available
What hope the vmcc?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Perhaps all those people that were paying top dollar for totally original, matching numbers, unmolested bikes knew something we didn't. It never made any sense to me when we ceased to pay for a road fund licence or have the bike tested for roadworthiness, utter madness. It might not concern us on this site but what will happen to all the classic cars with disc brake conversions, Minors, Minis, Sprites, Midgets etc. all reverting back to good old drum brakes. You only have to look at the accident statistics in that paper to see where the danger lies, and it is not with classic vehicles, modified or not, it is more likely the case that being able to purchase a 200mph missile straight out of the showroom is far more of a risk to human life than making your Black Shadow actually stop.

vibrac

VOC Member
What I cant understand is WTF has an EU directive got to do with us? its not even about a policy that affects trade between countries put the pen pushing git who drafted this into something useful post Brexit like fee trade in historic vehicle parts with Australia and America

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Realizing that stupid people know no bounds (morons are with out borders) and not wanting to underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers (government officials). What some idiot comes up with in Europe, Britain, or Outer Botswana for that matter a bigger idiot in California will pick as a good idea and before you know it's federal law here. So I read through it.
I would argue that Eglis and Norvins, registered as such, are golden. I would say the frame is original (5 points), the engine (1 point), the transmission (2 points), steering assembly (telescopic forks) (2 points), and suspension (telescopic forks and swinging arm rear)(2 points) are all original. Everything has axles so my take would be "yes it has them, thank you for asking" (2 points), "wouldn't want to try going anywhere without them, now would I?".
Egli made his own spine frame(5), installed used Vincent engines(1) with used Vincent transmission(2), and telescopic forks to steer(2) and provide suspension(2), the wheels indeed had axles (2) (5+1+2+2+2+2=14) well over the minimum of 8 points.
Norvins same deal. Norton frame (5), Vincent engine(1), transmission both Norton and Vincent were optional (2), steering is telescopic forks (2), suspension telescopic forks and swing arm (2), wheels with axles (2) (5+1+2+2+2+2=14).
I would also argue that fitting up rated brakes is not substantial change according to the document titled "Vehicles of Historical Interest-Consultation on Exemptions from Annual Road Worthiness Testing" as table 2 on page 12 where I got the points from does not mention it at all and the 8 point system proposed comes from the DVLA, so it must be the well thought out and proven:rolleyes: (he wrote with tongue in cheek).
Now all this doesn't mean I would just lay back and wait for the outcome, but that I sure as hell would be involved in making sure this turned out to my advantage.
Steven