H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Rims and Tyres for Touring Rapide

MikeC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, I need new rims and tyres for my Touring Rapide (19" front & 18" rear). Can anyone suggest the best supplier for new rims (lined) and spokes, I will spoke the wheels myself. I have been advised not to bother with security bolts.
Also any thoughts on tyre combinations - I was thinking Roadrunners F2 and R2.
Thanks

stu spalding

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Mike, I've tried both Roadrunners and Roadriders and although they last well the handling isn't as good as Bridgestone Battlaxe BT45. Cheers, Stu.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Stu I am wondering what you find wrong with the handling with the Roadriders? I have used them on my Vincent, Norton and Triumph for years and I like them. I am pretty fast on curves. I know what the tires should do. I have worn lots of them out. I wear them right down to the wear bars. The mileage I get is pretty good as well. Does the Bridgestone really have more grip or will the bike be more stable, or is is something else. What would be the difference.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I mounted Devon stainless painted and lined rims on mine a couple of years ago. They're pricey but excellent. Of course, I also got their stainless spokes. They look great, with excellent finish and were very easy to true up.

I see that they now offer two levels of quality; "Rolltru" and "Valtru". I think the latter ones are cheaper but not highly polished.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Avon Trailriders 21" 90/90 on a WM4 rear 18" 410 on WM 5 over 9 k miles before that Distanzia but thats been dropped , no longer a speed merchant never was as speed is expensive, economy has always been my goal with 200 plus miles to a tank (15 Ltrs), With the wider rims the tyre has more support & contact area also not needing so much pressure so a more comfortable ride, use to run 30 psi front now 20psi with WM4
rear 25 to 30 unloaded / loaded , use to be 35 to 45psi
For what its worth.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Just reread your thread, central wheel spokes stainless plated brass nipples, stainless rims or non flanged alloy ones (flanged collect shit) painted ! another chore to do. All ways spot on with spokes (Cross four lacing pattern) .

stu spalding

VOC Member
Stu I am wondering what you find wrong with the handling with the Roadriders? I have used them on my Vincent, Norton and Triumph for years and I like them. I am pretty fast on curves. I know what the tires should do. I have worn lots of them out. I wear them right down to the wear bars. The mileage I get is pretty good as well. Does the Bridgestone really have more grip or will the bike be more stable, or is is something else. What would be the difference.

Hi Nigel, I just find that the BT45s feel more stable and give a bit more confidence although they don't wear as well. I had a front one that got a bit "noddy" when worn but apart from that they've been fine. I used to use Continental TK22/44 but they ran a bit wide on tight bends and, when worn, they white-lined a lot. Cheers, Stu.

MikeC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have to say, I used the BT45s on a late 80's BMW RT a couple of years ago and they did inspire confidence, which I really only realized later after I changed them.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Hi, I need new rims and tyres for my Touring Rapide (19" front & 18" rear). Can anyone suggest the best supplier for new rims (lined) and spokes, I will spoke the wheels myself. I have been advised not to bother with security bolts.
Also any thoughts on tyre combinations - I was thinking Roadrunners F2 and R2.
Thanks
I have new 19inch rear steel rime with pnistrips

druridge

VOC Member
I run a touring Rapide with 19" front and 18" rear, very happy with Avon Roadriders on both.
I suspect the factory were always worried about grip on the front; they certainly provided us with a front mudguard wide enough for two wheels!

Last edited: