Rim Lock Installation

ET43

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I do the same as that thing does with tyre levers and two bits of wood, which enables me to get my hand inside the tyre. Technology, Bah. ET43

Albervin

VOC Member
For better or for worse, I don't use them. But, if I did, this tool looks handy http://pitposse.com/beadbender.html

If you had to have one, but couldn't get it from them, it might be fairly easy to cobble up one yourself.
Bruce, since you mentioned it, I wonder how many Vincents are out there without rim locks? Mine don't for a start. Maybe necessary on an outfit but it would be interesting to poll the number of those who do and those who don't. A letter writer in the Jan MPH basically said we were playing with fire by not using them, then again he also mentioned using washing detergent to fit a tyre.....

timetraveller

VOC Member
Many years ago I put a back wheel into a Vincent Rapide sidecar outfit without a rim lock. The bike was not ridden vigourously and I got about five miles before I ripped the valve out of the inner tube. If you have ali rims with serations then they are not necessary. Otherwise I would always use them.

Albervin

VOC Member
As I said. "Maybe necessary on an outfit". I never use a tyre lubricant other than talcum powder , and then it is only infrequently. Modern rubber compounds and higher tyre pressures. No serrations on the rim my 1974 Yamaha with 45 bhp and all good. Old Rocket 3s and modern Triumphs seem to do alright without rim locks. Just saying. Of course, the moment I rip a tube I will be converted.

greg burt

Non-VOC Member
2 twins NO Rim Locks
26psi in rear solo riding
Tyres always fitted with rubber grease on beads
Never had a tyre walk on the rim
Greg

Howard

VOC Member
This was a topic at our last club night. Someone (I remember it as 2 different people but that could be my memory) had had a catastrophic failure due to tyre slipping on the rim. Apparently in heavy rain. I arrived half way through the conversation, so I’ll ask for details on Wednesday and report back.

H

b'knighted

VOC Member
I have had valves rip out on Comet and twin. I have always believed that it is due to punctures causing partial deflation, lowering pressure followed by rain lubricating the rim to allow slip.
Fitting a tubeless rim/tyre on the Knight has solved the problem as this, when punctured, will still run with the pressure as low as 8PSI. Not to be recommended but better than having the sort of sudden deflation that originally taught me that adrenaline was brown.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Tube type caution

If you run el-cheapo tubes on your bikes you will find the tubes to be slightly pourus, in that they can leak 2-3 psi a week. DAMHIK

I would recomend running quality enduro style tube from Michelin Continental etc, and also remember that our modern reproduction Avon tyres require a slightly higher pressure than in olden days (maybe only 2-3 psi higher). Even then I still check the tyre pressures before each journey.

Rider beware

Neil

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I think that I read in MPH, that Arthur Farrows horizontal excursion in the USA may have been caused by soap on the rim getting all slippery in the rain, although I would think that it would take more braking than my bike is capable of to slip the front tyre.

JimR