Rim Lock Installation

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I thought that you wanted good quality tubes, Michelin or Metzeler here in the US, because they were more rip-resistant than the cheapos, even though they did slowly leak.

A trade-off between checking pressures periodically vs. quick deflations.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
When I got the first Rapide, it was suggested to me that the rear rim lock was unecessary and made tire changes difficult.
I removed the rim lock. The bike had a grabby clutch at that time, a VeeTwo with sintered bronze plates. On the second take off after removing the lock, the tire slipped on the rim and ripped the valve stem off, instant flat tire. Luckily it was a short push home.

I put the rim lock back in, no problem since.

Glen

vince998

VOC Member
Series D shadow with 18" WM3 rear, 19" WM2 front fitted with avons finest (roadrunner front, SM rear)30 psi rear, 26 psi front, no rim locks and up till now (10 years and 40+ thousand kms) no problems. Both rims are stainless steel from the central wheel company.
I had an experience on my FJ involving a rapidly deflating front tyre. Luckily i was going in a straight line because on braking (which was relatively stable due to me running on the rim) the tyre just slipped on the wheel. Could have been really interesting going downhill :)

Ray Bear

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Never used rim locks for many years, today I ride a 47 rapide, 69 rocket 3 , 72 motto guzzi v7 sport ,and a 74 commando and none use rim locks and never had a slippage problem and if I need a lubricant for instalation i use a citrus based hand cleaner that dries after a short while in the air and loses its slipperyness ...However I have still left the threaded section protruding through the rim with a small retaining head on the inside to hold it in place just to stop the annoying purists from picking on me about the wrongs of not running rim locks ...I run about 25 to 28 psi in my rear tyres which suits my sedate riding habits ..Bill

Albervin

VOC Member
Thought.... Inner tubes often (usually) come with 2 nuts. I install the tube so the valve sits in the indent in the rim, no nut on the inside of the wheel rim. I have seen people fit a tube with a nut inside the rim and the "locknut" on the outside. I only finger-tighten the nut on the outside of the rim and never use the 2nd nut. I know some people who use the nut to "lock" the valve cap and allow a little movement of the tube. One person who does the latter has done major intercontinental riding, 2 up, with a lot of luggage. Also, he is not, ahem, light of frame. I check my tyre pressures weekly or, if the bike is not used regularly, before each ride. For some reason my front tube on the Rap loses 2 psi a week but the rear is stable for months. Much conjecture about Arthur Farrow's front wheel but that is all it can be as the ripped valve could have been the cause or the result of the incident. He was not braking at the time. Any CSI people may beg to differ but the bike had just been transported via ship, brand new front rim, brand new tyre and brand new tube....

vince998

VOC Member
Thought.... Inner tubes often (usually) come with 2 nuts. I install the tube so the valve sits in the indent in the rim, no nut on the inside of the wheel rim. I have seen people fit a tube with a nut inside the rim and the "locknut" on the outside. I only finger-tighten the nut on the outside of the rim and never use the 2nd nut. I know some people who use the nut to "lock" the valve cap and allow a little movement of the tube. One person who does the latter has done major intercontinental riding, 2 up, with a lot of luggage. Also, he is not, ahem, light of frame. I check my tyre pressures weekly or, if the bike is not used regularly, before each ride. For some reason my front tube on the Rap loses 2 psi a week but the rear is stable for months. Much conjecture about Arthur Farrow's front wheel but that is all it can be as the ripped valve could have been the cause or the result of the incident. He was not braking at the time. Any CSI people may beg to differ but the bike had just been transported via ship, brand new front rim, brand new tyre and brand new tube....

I fitted a new Avon to the front last year and sourced a new inner tube from my local dealer. The tube came from Metzeler and also had two nuts on the valve stem. This is the first time i have seen this. The lower nut was slightly tapered on one side. On inquiring at the dealer, he wasn´t sure so i talked to Andreas Wegner about it and he knew a guy that worked at Metzeler. He informed us that the lower nut is indeed intended to fit inside the rim? Anyone else fitted them like this? I can´t really work out the benefit of the inside nut except maybe the area around the stem is no longer reinforced as in earlier designs.
I also lose about 2 psi a week on the front. The rear holds it´s pressure OK. Maybe something to do with tyre design?

Ducdude

VOC Member
I also lose about 2 psi a week on the front. The rear holds it´s pressure OK. Maybe something to do with tyre design?

Interesting I also lose a bit of air from the front tube while the rear stays stable for weeks. It is more then 2psiG a week perhaps more like 3 to 4. I bought new tubes just in case and will replace the ft in due course but how odd is this?

I do have the rim locks in and I am running the stock wheels on my 52 Shadow with an Avon SM. I am trying to keep the pressure at around 29psiG. Not that it matters much
these days as my motor is still in Hosp getting mended..:)

Cheers,
Eric

davidd

VOC Member
I was taught to leave the nut loose so the stem could tell you if the tube began to migrate. Once, thirty years ago I was riding a Rapide and stopped and parked with a collection of bikes. The BMW rider next to me pointed out that my stem nut was not tight and I told him why. He then went to his front tire and with some great effort loosened his stem nut. The stem went to a forty five degree angle. It was one of the few times that it seemed like I knew something.

I have never used rim locks, but I certainly would if I had a problem.

David

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I thought I had first heard of not tightening the nut as a BMW works recommendation for Airheads, at least!

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy Chaps,

Inner tubes having two nuts on them will generally have a small washer on the underside of the one against the tube. Whereas mfr's at one time might have a large diameter flange at the base of the steel stem to which the inner tube was vulcanized to the tube they have (frightfully) little now. Thus, that washer and nut are to provide additional clamping pressure against the vulcanized flange to reinforce it.

My only two blow outs in 43 years (along with several slow leaks) were aboard the same very aggressively ridden Vin within a year of each other, no rim locks - just as no modern HD with that spindly 21 inch front wheel with dual discs subduing 580lbs does not as well - then, and none now. The only variable changing out of riding practise and rider largesse was tire pressure. 26psi may have worked on the Red Rap with 4.00x18 and 3.50x19 but I'll never run less than 30 on the sport wheeled Shadow again.