H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Rim comparision chart

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is a tyre (say 19") given in size as suitable for an MT2.50 OK for a WM3 rim? or is an tyre for a MT2.15 more suitable?
and is there a comparison chart between the two rim ranges?
I know enough to say that MT means they have an internal rib for tubeless tyres but often tyres nowadays are only given as fitting MT rim sizes which is not a lot of good when you have a garage full of bikes with WM rims and you need to leave the speedmaster realm.

Last edited:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
WM0 1.4

WM1 1.6

WM2 1.85

WM3 2.15

Rim widths in inches. Compare these to the tyre manufacture’s min/max recommended rim widths for your particular tyres.

vibrac

VOC Member
So can we say that the numbers following the MT designator are directly comparable to those given by the wm table? ie rim width?

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I always go for the Avon guide widest rim possible so have a WM4 x 21" Trailrider on front and WM5 x 18" Trailrider rear that gives me 10k miles as tread depth is 10mm. much more support for tyre and rubber on the road.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have had good results from Avon Road Riders on the Egli Comet as far as feel and lean so my next project (non Vincent) will have them especially as I find they do a 21" front :) (No 20" for Vincents :()and I was just trying to see if they fit WM rims I already have and it seems by this thread I am OK. I think I am unlikely to reach the speed ratings but I do like to have a rounded profile for corners. The days of teetering round on square sections are over. Confusingly I am OK on Trials Mitas at least they have hard wearing rubber not like the soft stuff the POGO stick trials bikes nowadays use but I suppose the light weight of my Trail bike helps.
PS:
(Trial and Trail how important is the position of the 'i' and 'a' nowadays! one (Trail) is still a motorcycle but I am still trying to workout what a modern trials bike is now:rolleyes: IMHO it was a sad day they allowed wheels to stop in a section without a fail)