H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Rim and tyre choices for the track

Herman-Handlebars

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, im looking for a good choice of rim size and tyre combination for a standard (ish) twin thats going to be used on track.
I was thinking 19inch WM2 front and WM3 rear with Avon roadriders in soft compound.
Is this a suitable choice?
Cheers

vibrac

VOC Member
Son Ben always uses 18 Avon racing front and back not my choice I prefer 20 front narrow and 19 back but then Ben won the championships I never did.
Are you trackday or racing if the latter where?

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
You might check the Avon fitment guide after choosing tire type. Avon recommends use of wider rims than what was typically used years ago.
For example, the recommended rim width for a 100/90/19 Roadrider is 2.5", whereas WM3 s are only 2.15".
WM3 is the minimum width that may be used with the 100/90/19, however it does not give you the best contact patch for cornering.
Maybe OK for a gently used roadbike but not great for a racebike.
Whatever tire choices and sizes you go for, it would be best to follow Avon's "Recommended" width.

Glen

greg brillus

VOC Member
You need to check the regulations in the rule book to see what rims you can use first. In Australia for that class/year of bike we can only use a rim no wider than a WM 3. The twin racer I built and featured on this forum back in 2014 I used 19 inch rims, but we are currently changing to 18 inch for better handling and tire choice.

davidd

VOC Member
All very good answers. The trick is figuring out how to make the bike handle well on the track. Generally, the 18" tires present a good handling and tire (compound and low profile) option. But, you need to make mods for ground clearance. If you are working with rules, they will limit your options. If you are not working with rules, your options can be anything you wish.

It's expensive to make a Vincent handle at the top of its ability, which is why you will get peppered with questions about your ultimate goals for the bike.

Often it is not clear what compounds and tires are available. Generally you are looking for information like this:
Race Tire Sizes w Compounds.GIF

You will also need some info on compounds.
Compound Scale.GIF

When you see the term "Cantilever", as in the AM23 selection, it means the tire has been designed to be used on a narrower rim than is normal. As Glen mentions, you have to factor in the recommended rim sizes, which tend to be on another chart.

Often it is a matter of finding a tire guy or a tire shop that will give you the info you are looking for and supply you with "fresh" tires, not just the tires in stock. The freshest tires will perform better. Once you feel you know what tires you have available for purchase it may slot you into a decision.

David

Albervin

VOC Member
Hi, im looking for a good choice of rim size and tyre combination for a standard (ish) twin thats going to be used on track.
I was thinking 19inch WM2 front and WM3 rear with Avon roadriders in soft compound.
Is this a suitable choice?
Cheers
Do you have over 70Kw? If not then go for larger diameter (20 or 21") and thinner front and a decent 19" rear. If the power is over 70Kw then it will be the rule book that dictates the wheels and tyres. I have learned over the years that a fat front tyre is rubbish unless you have the power to push it into the turns. Way back in 1970 I used a 3.25 front on a modified Yamaha and it steered way better than those with a 3.50. Only 28Kw of course.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The Avatar flag suggests that Herman Handlebars is in the UK. He has not told us where he is planning to ride or with what club so we don't actually know which rules he may have to adhere to. If he is just going to do track days then he will probably be able to use whatever he wants to.

royrobertson

VOC Member
My 1272cc racer has 94 bhp at the rear wheel and has been on Avon 18 in. AM 22 and 23s for most of it's life. I use 110/80VB18 front on a 2.15 Akront rim and a AM23 130/70VB18 (medium 308 compound) on an Akront 3.50 rim. These , as Vibrac says, are the serious racers choice but are very expensive. Over £200 for just the rear. I did try a Bridgestone 150 which just went in but made the handling "slow" It really depends what sort of track use you mean?
Cheers Roy

greg brillus

VOC Member
That's pretty much the combination we are going to run on our racer, as was running 19's before. Only difference is we can only use rims no wider than WM 3. The loss in ground height is a bit of a pain, I can jack up the rear without too much difficulty but the front is another issue. The engine is going through a rebuild at present replacing all the main bearings due to corrosion, new higher lift cams, and twin plugs per head ignition. If we can pick up gains in engine output, better handling/grip, and braking, we should be in with a good chance in the Unlimited class at the 2018 Australian Historic road racing Championships in November later this year. It is keeping me very busy, and thoroughly enjoying "Playing" with my toy again. Cheers.......Greg.