Ride Out Anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Coene

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Good morning. The weather is excellent today and I'm thinking about going cycling as physical exercise might do me good. Taking the Vincent out today ? No, as it is not worth risking the fines. But cycling ? I'm not sure yet. It is perfectly allowed, but the risk for contamination must be 1000 times higher than riding a motorcycle, whether you like it or not.

vibrac

VOC Member
I had a free supply of push bikes from my uncles cycle shop in my childhood and that coupled with the Chiltern Hills did me, I swore at 16 that I would never ride the damm things again... so far so good
Perhaps when I am too old to ride a motorcycle or they remove my licence I may go for an electric pushbike or tricycle modifiy the Kw limit and terrorise the cycleways

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Social distancing is only one single measure in the fight against Covid-19, the countries that have had most success in knocking back this virus have put in far greater measures than simply just standing 2 metres apart, and though it is true that most economies in the world are being trashed, I think that would pall into insignificance if this virus was simply allowed to spread unchecked, Christ, isn't it killing enough people already as it is. Just the very fact that in choosing to go out on your motorcycle for a pleasure trip, you will at some point need to call into a filling station and commit to a transaction that you needn't have made, for me that puts it into the bracket of an unnecessary journey.
When the government here began to address Covid19, they talked of a herd imunity strategy. That would have required between 60 to 80 percent of the population to become infected. That meant that there would be a death toll of between half a million to over a million deaths.
We have to recognise that there is another contagion that can spread and that is herd behaviour i.e. "he or she is doing such and such so I can do the same". So riding our bikes for pleasure is not essential and under current circumstance just plain antisocial . Justifying it on the grounds that other people are doing things or having to do things is an example of this behaviour. If it spreads, the authorities will have to put stricter enforcement in place, putting extra strain on services which are already stretched. So don't do it.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The Harleys still hatch here out enmass, like blackflies in the Arctic. This occurs everyday as soon the temp hits 12c, which it does by late morning now.
I can just hear it " I'm going to ride my Harley, F.... Covid"
I guess when you are wearing a dessert plate as a helmet, it's hard to think.

Glen

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Our top medical officer is telling us to be fearful right now and freely admits that she is fearful.
She's well qualified to be fearful after co-ordinating the fight against Ebola, SARs and H1n1.
For the most part the people in BC are following her advice.( Other than the Harley riders)
It appears to be working.
CoronaVirus deaths per million population
The Netherlands 140
UK. 118
USA. 50
Canada average. 13
The Province of BC. 9

Glen

Last edited:

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Our top medical officer is telling us to be fearful right now and freely admits that she is fearful.
She's well qualified to be fearful after co-ordinating the fight against Ebola, SARs and H1n1.
For the most part the people in BC are following her advice.
It appears to be working.
CoronaVirus deaths per million population
The Netherlands 140
UK. 105
USA. 49
Canada average. 14
The Province of BC. 9

Glen
per 100.000

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member