RH Insurance BE CAREFUL!

Chris S

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I had a few questions that were bugging me, so I emailed Hagerty to see if they responded. I was impressed that they telephoned me within 12 hours and discussed my queries in a quite sincere and open manner. I asked them to confirm their responses by email and they did immediately.

My first question was:
I will be insuring 3 bikes on one multi bike policy. Two of the bikes are laid up, fully complete and operating but not used so will be covering zero road mileage. Can you confirm these will be will be covered for damage and theft please. On occasion, one or the other of the two laid up motorcycles may be displayed at a show. Please confirm what level of cover would be in force during transit to the show (in a van) and while displayed at a show.
They replied:
"A full road policy or a laid up ( Zero mileage policy) covers the vehicle whilst in transit, storage and display, on a fully comprehensive basis"

My second question was:
The third bike is used on the road so will benefit from fully comprehensive insurance. As this bike is pre 1960, it does not require an MOT certificate. Can you confirm your requirement regarding the MOT and whether this bike would require an MOT certificate to validate the insurance although not required by law.
They replied
"As with any vehicle on the road, it will be required to kept in a road worthy condition ( regardless of whether it is MOT exempt or not)- the policy does not require an MOT exempt eligible vehicle to hold a valid MOT"
Whilst talking on the phone, I asked about the proof that the bike was road worthy and they said that there was no requirement to provide anything up front, and that like an MOT it would only be valid effectively on the day of test therefore making it the owners responsibility to ensure an ongoing road worthy condition. They were keen to point out this was true of any vehicle of any age. If you were to have an accident for example and on examination they found your tyres were bald and one of the brakes had no cable fitted for example, then they may restrict a claim due to the machine not being road worthy as required.

My third question was:
Please confirm your policy covers the carrying of pillions on the motorcycle insured for road use.
They replied:
"The policy does indeed cover the bikes being used to carry pillion passengers"

Taking their willingness to respond so freely gives me a good deal of confidence in the cover they offer and their likelihood to honour any potential claim in a positive manner. I think it is important to remember that although I started this thread with a warning about cover restricted by endorsments by certain insurers, it is not the case with all of them. However, it is important to act with due diligence to ensure your insurance is what you expect it to be.

Chris

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Good point about the MOT only good for that day, I was an MOT tester many years ago, People change stuff just for the MOT, Then change back, A friend of a friend borrowed my BMW front wheel, Because mine was more true, Just for the test.
Which comes back to, If after a claim, They find something wrong with the Bike, You are in trouble.
Cheers Bill.

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Like Bill Thomas l used Carole Nash for some years, no problem, however a friend recommended Lynbrook who advertise in the classic mags and with whom l have had excellent service for the past 9 years. The MOT situation is a true minefield and as such all my pre 1960 motor vehicles will be submitted for test this year as a precaution. Thank you to all here who have highlighted this subject. Hope this helps.

The VOC Spares Company Limited

VOC Member
As Simon says... Roadworthy.

The standards are all in the MOT inspection manual which is available HERE. Far better to read it and know the answers rather than rely on what your mate down the pub said. Incidentally, it is changing in May so I had better get reading.

I make my living out of MOT tests but am very aware that the MOT is a bare minimum. A properly carried out maintenance scheme is always far better, provided that it actually gets done.

Pete
Good info here, I know you have plenty on but could the VOC (i.e. you!) encourage/assist in an MOT event at a Rallies or a Section Meetings. I'd be happy to take a turn as inspector as I'm sure many would.
Ian

John Cone

VOC Member
I asked RH about their garaging stipulations because most of the year my Prince is on our companies car park between the hours of 20.00 and 04.30 as i work nights and like to use it for work. They didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Chris S

Non-VOC Member
I think you have missed the whole point of the thread John. The area of concern is about your bike being parked up at home, not away from it when the home garaging endorsement does not apply.

Albervin

VOC Member
I used Hagerty when I was in the UK and Europe last year. I spoke to a real person and received real help. The limited mileage is flexible. When I said I could be going to France on the Shadow (in the end I didn't) I was told to give them a call and they would allow another 2,000 miles for the year. Can't ask for better service than that.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, I have just had an answer from Hagerty about my question on MOTs
for the to Vincens . They state that it is not necessary. Although common sence says you should give it a good looking at at every wash.
I have found Hagerty to be by far the best insurance company to deal with.
They answer your questions quickly.
John.

Chris S

Non-VOC Member
I have today arranged my insurance with Hagerty. I got a quote from there website initially which was very competitive. However, when I went through the proposal with them on the phone, they managed to reduce the price by a further £30 for being a member of the Vincent HRD owners club. They really do seem to be very genuine and enthusiastic to help.
Conversely, I called RH to tell them I would not be renewing with them due to the garaging clause. They went to great lengths to assure me that most of the classic bike insurers would have the garaging clause applicable 24 hours a day as per their policy endorsement. This is not true and I was surprised they tried to convince me otherwise.
As per my original thread heading - Be Careful!
Chris

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
As RH advertise within MPH we have a contact in their marketing department. I called her today and explained the negative publicity that they are getting and suggested that they should revise their policy. She has promised to ask the underwriters to think again and will get back to us with an answer.

Needs to be quick as my RH policy is due for renewal this month and I wont be using RH unless they mend their ways.