FT: Frame (Twin) RFM Suspension Lugs

Herman-Handlebars

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, I'm starting to restore my RFM and am questioning the condition/thickness of the material around one of the lugs (rear lug in the pic)
I'm very much new to Vincents, so am just asking if this is acceptable and normal when the bronze bush is fitted? Or is this too thin and may lead to fracturing over time.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, before stripping, painting and fitting bearings

Attachments

• 16198912346311301981116836292357.jpg
    16198912346311301981116836292357.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 38

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
It's been working for probably close on your life time (and it ant broke yet) the action of the lug is in compression mainly so renew the bush and carry on my handsome. If it bothers you buy a new RFM the peace of mind will cost only £3,000 , that is little to what it's made you over all the years you have probably had it.
bananaman.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi, I'm starting to restore my RFM and am questioning the condition/thickness of the material around one of the lugs (rear lug in the pic)
I'm very much new to Vincents, so am just asking if this is acceptable and normal when the bronze bush is fitted? Or is this too thin and may lead to fracturing over time.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, before stripping, painting and fitting bearings
Just press in two new bushes and ream them to size. The reamer should preferably be long enough to pass through both bushes (piloted) so that they are perfectly in line. I just used the short reamer I had to hand when I replaced mine and that worked out OK.

Herman-Handlebars

Non-VOC Member
Thanks all, sorry could of written my question a bit better.
I wasn't sure if I am just over thinking the 'what if's' in if the lug is strong enough. I suppose I'm asking if this is normal to other RFM's. There is about 3mm of material compared to over 5mm on the other lug. The frame has been stored for many years and I don't really know of its history unfortunately.
The holes though seem to be round and with a little bit of fettling, seem to be ok to press in the bush's.
Does anyone line the internal tubes with anything like an anti corrosion paint or sealer?
Cheers

Attachments

• 16199696515986895711660929100397.jpg
    16199696515986895711660929100397.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 23