RFM on ebay - Item 230429184981 k.b_automotive

Mark Fraser

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
After placing a bid of £1228 on this RFM on ebay I thought there would be a reasonable chance of winning the rfm, shock horror as it sold for over 2K. Never thought I would see the day when an RFM would cost more than the replica twin crankcases that I bought in 2008!

Albervin

VOC Member
After placing a bid of £1228 on this RFM on ebay I thought there would be a reasonable chance of winning the rfm, shock horror as it sold for over 2K. Never thought I would see the day when an RFM would cost more than the replica twin crankcases that I bought in 2008!
It defies belief what some items fetch on e-bay. My concern is that the average Joe in the street will see that as the current going rate when in fact it is just what a person was prepared to pay on that day. I sold a "C" RFM for nearly a quarter that price a couple of years ago after I paid less than what you offered for a good Series B item. At the time I was just happy to have minimised my outlay on the B item. I always thought the UFM/headstock was worth more than an RFM so maybe there has been a shift in values or, more likely, this was a desperate man who wanted this RFM, come hell or high water.
It does not augur well for those trying to get their basket case back on the road. Be prepared to see more Comets broken up for their parts or a substantial rise in the price of scruffy ones. £5,000 for the bare bones of UFM,RFM & forks means that once you add engine (£3,000), gearbox (£300), Miller parts (up to £1,000), wheels & brakes etc. etc. you will have a bill for £12,000 +.:(

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
It does not augur well for those trying to get their basket case back on the road. Be prepared to see more Comets broken up for their parts or a substantial rise in the price of scruffy ones. £5,000 for the bare bones of UFM,RFM & forks means that once you add engine (£3,000), gearbox (£300), Miller parts (up to £1,000), wheels & brakes etc. etc. you will have a bill for £12,000 +.

Albervin,

I think your 12K is optimistic, "the times they are a changing" and not always for the better......

From the beautiful shores of the Yarra river

Mickthevin

Non-VOC Member
It defies belief what some items fetch on e-bay. My concern is that the average Joe in the street will see that as the current going rate when in fact it is just what a person was prepared to pay on that day. I sold a "C" RFM for nearly a quarter that price a couple of years ago after I paid less than what you offered for a good Series B item. At the time I was just happy to have minimised my outlay on the B item. I always thought the UFM/headstock was worth more than an RFM so maybe there has been a shift in values or, more likely, this was a desperate man who wanted this RFM, come hell or high water.
It does not augur well for those trying to get their basket case back on the road. Be prepared to see more Comets broken up for their parts or a substantial rise in the price of scruffy ones. £5,000 for the bare bones of UFM,RFM & forks means that once you add engine (£3,000), gearbox (£300), Miller parts (up to £1,000), wheels & brakes etc. etc. you will have a bill for £12,000 +.:(

If someone has paid £xx amount for a part then that IS the going rate

Mick

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Surely the club could make a R.F.M. Cheaper than £2000,? Did we make one for the New Vin we built it in 2007 ?.
These prices are getting silly, My wife wants me to sell up and be Rich !!!

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Surely the club could make a R.F.M. Cheaper than £2000,? Did we make one for the New Vin we built it in 2007 ?.
These prices are getting silly, My wife wants me to sell up and be Rich !!!

Spares Company list on their website: FT1/4AS Complete UFM assembly with headlug: Price: £1,499.00 (Excluding VAT at 17.5%)

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
Just to clear the angst, this is the disposel of a late VOC members stash on behalf of the widow.

Vic..

Your right, I heard that today through a friend of mine in Edinburgh, He's a velocette man. Says there's more to come so I'll keep a look out