Rfm lug spread

Tug Wilson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
One side of my RGM lug has opened up presumably from starting. Can this be heated and closed to original size?

vince998

VOC Member
Hi Tug,
The lug will not open due to starting due to the mounting for the stand being on the bottom fork?
this is more likely to be caused by trying to undo the spindle nut with a spanner:rolleyes:
The weakest part here will be the hole where the chain adjuster sits.
You need to strip this back and crack test.
When heating & re-forming, make sure the adjuster is in as well. (otherwise you probably won´t get it in afterwards).
I´ve seen it done a couple of times with no detrimental effect to the fork (although be carefull with the heat)

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
Hi Tug,
The lug will not open due to starting due to the mounting for the stand being on the bottom fork?
this is more likely to be caused by trying to undo the spindle nut with a spanner:rolleyes:
The weakest part here will be the hole where the chain adjuster sits.
You need to strip this back and crack test.
When heating & re-forming, make sure the adjuster is in as well. (otherwise you probably won´t get it in afterwards).
I´ve seen it done a couple of times with no detrimental effect to the fork (although be carefull with the heat)
Thanks for speedy reply. Bike is basket case hence guess at cause. Thanks again.

vince998

VOC Member
Thanks for speedy reply. Bike is basket case hence guess at cause. Thanks again.

Thinks (As ordered by Trev):

Hi Tug,
After looking at the rear end of my "cannibalised" Comet, you could have a point about the wheel axle fork spreading (or closing) due to kickstarting on the stand, depending on how worn your stand abutment (or stop) is and what angle your stand is sitting at in relation to the RFM.
The stand abutment actually acts as a fulcrum, levering the bottom slot fork downwards at the stand fixing points. (although only a very small lever is formed, and the involved components resisting this leverage are so generously dimension that i can´t see this happening)
In theory, with the stand set up to sit at at 90° to the RFM (building the stand stops up so this happens naturally), a vertical load will be equally divided between the stand abutment and the fixing points. The more worn your stand stops, the further rearwards the bike sits over the stand, the greater the pull on the stand fixing points.
The trouble with theories is, they very rarely come to fruition in practice, and due to movement of load (i.e during kickstarting) you could also achieve a state where all of the downwards load is being applied to the stand fixings (at the furthest point from the closed end of the fork as possible!!!) so pushing the bottom slot fork upwards effectively closing the fork ends!!

Ho Hum.
To "D" or not to "D"? (no choice really.):rolleyes:

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
Many of are very happy with the stands provided by Dave Hills. I have no commercial connection with him and there is no a problem to start the bike on these stands. I bought one of the first stainless steel ones from Dave and he asked me to deliberately start the bike on the stand to test it for durability. Being a vertically challenged person this was very useful and I would recommend this solution to anyone who for whatever reason wants to start the bike on the stand. Certainly the 'D' stand is more Vincent but the clips for holding it in the up position are less than perfect and if using a 'D' stand it is a good idea to modify the way in which the stand is held up.

Tug Wilson

Non-VOC Member
Follow up on spread lug. Closer inspection revealed caused by spanner on nut proved by indentations on lug fork surface. Read afterwards -lesson learnt-Paul Richardsons book refers to this risk! Also supplies check measurements re alignment. Local welder heated and set spread lug to correct dimensions ok.

Albervin

VOC Member
After watching people at at the National rally heaving their bikes onto "roll on" stands & "Dave Hills" stands, I will stick with my Aussie made (thanks Leon) Series D stand. Great fun explaining it isn't a hand brake and for someone with a major back problem it is a delight. I still try to start the machine without use of a stand but if the back & leg complains then I revert to the stand & "drop the valve lifter" technique.