FT: Frame (Twin) RFM Damper Knob Assembly (FT96AS) threaded insert replacement.

Texas John

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The RFM Damper Knob Assembly (FT96AS on MO22) has a threaded insert, which VOC Spares calls FT97 (not shown in any spares manual that I know of). Can someone tell me how the insert is removed and replaced, please? On my knob, the insert is broken such that several of the detents are missing. I would like to replace it without damaging the knob. Thank you.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello John , Just looked on the Spares Company web site,
It's threaded, But not on the newer ones.
Not sure if it comes with the spring and ball ?, Cheers Bill.

Sorry the ball is in the other bit ??.
I have never done it but would think heat the alloy up, Not sure if it's left or right hand thread ?.

Attachments

• 1226_DAMPER_KNOB_INSERT_(THREADED)_thumb.jpg
    1226_DAMPER_KNOB_INSERT_(THREADED)_thumb.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
Bill - Thank you - looking closely I now realize the VOC spares item is threaded externally.
Charles - Thank you for providing that detail as I am fairly certain mine is original. That is what I was wondering - whether originally it was pressed on or threaded. And I did not see a pin or staking so I did not want to attack it without better knowledge.

timetraveller

VOC Member
The latest ones available from the Spares Company are machined from a solid piece of 7075. The detents for the ball are machined into the body and there is a groove near the bottom of the shaft to mimic the appearance of the originals. No insert, no knurling or internal threads apart from the centre 1/4 BSF. Note that there are two styles of this, depending upon the age of the bike, and both styles are available.

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
TT - Thanks for pointing that out. Mine is a Series B, by the way. The new knobs do look very nice (VOC Spares does a great job) but one would be very conspicuous on my bike as they are so shiny! And the insert by itself is only about 1/10 the price of a new knob. Fixing it will make a fun project.