F: Frame RFM Bearing Removal Tips

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Anyone have any tips for removal of bearing cups from the RFM.

Is it a case of heating up the UFM and drifting out from the opposite side?

craig

VOC Member
I dont think heat will help, simply reach thru from opposite side and tap the back up washer F42/1 shown below.
The job might be easier with proper diameter round stock in a hyd press.

Might require heat if previous mechanic used loctite.
MO22cropRFMRace1.jpg

Last edited:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I simply used a long drift to get the inner race out, working from the far side , taking my time with lots of gentle hits, working around the circumference. When refitting if u use new F42/1 they need to be fettled. As supplied by the Spares co they are to big in outer diameter. Need to be trimmed to be a drop in fit.

When refitting the inner race I used a suitable sized socket as a drift.

Martyn

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks all, think will try the weld approach, not done that before
A run of weld usually works for removing outer races especially and is especially useful if the race is in a blind hole. Weld is not so good if you hope to reuse the outer race.;)

craig

VOC Member
Not removing, installing new cups in RFM.
2oz brass hammer tapped the cup level with the cast RFM.
The brass head flew off the hammer once.

Followed with an 1 3/8 socket to knock home with a small steel hammer

20210221_RFMBearing1.jpg20210221_BearingFit2.jpg

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Putting the races in to the RFM. I get them started by tapping gently then use a length of ready rod, heavy washers slightly smaller than the race OD, and use nuts to draw them fully into the RFM while checking to make sure the races stay square.

Alyson

VOC Member
as the RFM is not painted, you could stick it in the oven, bake at 240 F for 20 min, turning .... oh, not cookies ;) that race should just drop right in. Put a piece of plywood on the floor so you can do this
straight from the oven. The heat will expand the race quickly so when you turn it over to do the other
side, it will already be held in place. I love my oven.

craig

VOC Member
as the RFM is not painted, you could stick it in the oven, bake at 240 F for 20 min, turning .... oh, not cookies ;) that race should just drop right in. Put a piece of plywood on the floor so you can do this
straight from the oven. The heat will expand the race quickly so when you turn it over to do the other
side, it will already be held in place. I love my oven.
Yes, thanks, plywood on floor. I burnt kitchen rug last time but was able to flip it over.
I did use 2x4, but races dropped out, it was a cluster.

Last edited: