Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi John, Thanks for the pics.............You should try and get one of those excellent replica "Miller" diplite dip switches from Paul Horton who makes replica parts for Rudge motorcycles, they and many other parts he has suit the pre war HRD models and top quality and not too expensive. Look up rudgespares. Cheers........Greg.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Ok with regards to the two HRD cover/inspection plates that go over the clutch center and the magneto pinion drive.......should the background be black or the same burgundy/red as the top/bottom of the fuel tank..........? Also with the alloy oval spacers that go either side of the gearbox mounts, I have one original here which is 1/2 inch thickness, should the bottom one be the same. If so I am missing one and I will get some made. They will be made from solid alloy and I will drill/tap the small locator dowel using a short shank bolt arrangement rather than the original cast in dowel which is fragile, this original one is broken off. If anyone needs any let me know as I will probably make up a small batch of 10................Also are any of you in need of the cylinder hold down studs and long matching 3/8 CEI tube nuts to go with same, as I might get a small batch of these made soon as well................Can someone tell me what the lower thread that goes in the upper case is, is it 7/16 Whitworth..............Any help much appreciated...............Cheers........Greg.

It is DEFINITELY 7/16" BSF and the holes in the cases should be 1 3/16 " deep +- 1/16". PM on its way!

Martyn

greg brillus

VOC Member
Can someone please advise on the shape/type of front guard stays for the later "A" Comets with steel guards, i note some of the restored bikes have alloy guards with stays similar to post war models. Do the later bikes have a tube type or flat bar with the rib pressed into its length and a separate one for each side. This Comet is coming together quite well now, cheers....................Greg.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The front stays on the front mudguard should be made from just flat bar with no rib as far as I know. They were separate stays each side and did not curve around / over the mudguard. The lower rear stay on the front mudguard doubles up as a front stand when removing the front wheel. This was a curved pressing cross section on early bikes which later was tubular cross section of which I have seen at least two different versions. One version been of a similar design / construction to the rear stand.

Very early A's had similar flat stays at the lower rear of the front mudguard AND the lower front stand / stay, but by the beginning of 1936 that appears to have been dropped.

Simon

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I used 3/4" flat strap. 'Gotta' admit I thought the separate straps were a bit cheap, so made it fit the inside of the fender, then drilled the mounting holes to fit.
IMG_1240.JPG

greg brillus

VOC Member
Thanks John, On your lower stay/stand at the front where it bolts to the bottom of the forks, are they small machined castings that are brazed into the tube, or are the tubes just pressed flat and holes drilled through. Cheers...............Greg.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Thanks John, On your lower stay/stand at the front where it bolts to the bottom of the forks, are they small machined castings that are brazed into the tube, or are the tubes just pressed flat and holes drilled through. Cheers...............Greg.
They are castings brazed on the tube.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Maybe, forgings, brazed into the tubing?

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1327.jpg
    IMG_1327.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 21