Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think I have some old studs from my A rebuilds as I recall making all new ones. I am out right now but will try and remember this afternoon to have a look and see what is in the "A leftovers" bin!

Dinny

VOC Member
Hi Greg,

Standard for the cylinder studs is 7/16 BSF, my crankcase threads were a mess and so I had some new studs made and the cases had inserts fitted.

The two covers should be the same Maroon as the tank I'm sure.

The gear spacer - you need two, they are steel and are fixed in place by a 4BA bolt (35 bike) as per the picture which is the original I have. I'm using this at the top and have had a spacer turned for the bottom one with a large OD so it has plenty of surface area.

Gearbox spacer.jpg

Hope this helps.

Mark

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi Mark, Thanks for that........Interesting the spacer I have is a casting in alloy........when I removed it, a small alloy peg fell out which was the small dowel that located in the hole in the left engine plate. I'm pretty sure that the case threads are 7/16 BSF as well..........Not as course as a whitworth thread, but I consider BSF threads to be an "Intermediate thread" anyway as far as thread forms go if you compare AN threads UNF verses UNC the BSF thread is sort of in between. I wasn't sure about the colour of the inspection covers, but maroon would look great..........I better tell my paint man before he turns them "Black"............Cheers and thanks for the replies.

greg brillus

VOC Member
20180405_165507[1].jpg
20180405_165507[1].jpgIf anyone wants/needs one of these let me know, I have four spares. The closer one is the original you can see where the small alloy pin has broken off, we increased this area and tapped the hole 2 BA thread, then new ones are alloy as well. Cheers...........Greg.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Interesting, here is a 1935 original in solid steel - not scalloped out. Mega-heavy - as are the plates. I made my spacers - and plates too - in ally...
P1070834.JPG

Peter B

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Just received the first repo chainguard back, looks really good, have left out the captive nut, if anyone else needs one let me know. Andy

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Does anyone have any information on brake and clutch levers on the handlebars of a series A ie. make, type etc also type of decomp lever? Picture would be great??

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi Andy, The pre war levers seemed to be both Amal or Bowden levers, both very difficult to find now the amal ones had square head clamp screws, even more rare. Remember they are for one inch bars too...........I got on to the site called vintagereplica in Czechoslovakia, they have a great range of top quality levers and many other original style items that are hard to find, like the rear guard/stand clip assembly, Amal handlebar grips, John Bull footrest rubbers, even top quality headlight assemblies, though only in the Lucas pattern. The decomp lever had a small "s" bend in it, I'll send you a pic of the genuine one I found, they do come up on ebay from time to time. Cheers..................Greg.

Last edited:

John Oakes

Non-VOC Member
Does anyone have any information on brake and clutch levers on the handlebars of a series A ie. make, type etc also type of decomp lever? Picture would be great??

Hi Greg

Here is a snap of my levers. Complete with square head screws. Fitted to 39 meteor

John

Attachments

• BF5786A6-1251-4620-BF0E-BCC8376580FE.jpeg
    BF5786A6-1251-4620-BF0E-BCC8376580FE.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 75
  • D44E7A2D-F650-47FE-8A08-BC26050A828C.jpeg
    D44E7A2D-F650-47FE-8A08-BC26050A828C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 78