Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks very much Peter, that is excellent.............Just need to decide if we go stainless or cad plated steel. I'm leaning towards the plated steel just like all the other small steel items back then, excluding a black parkerised finish. I will get some machined up and go from there. Plus the threads will probably be 1 BA I have never seen a perch with 1/4 BSF threads, and I have quite a large collection of handlebar levers and perches. Not saying that they weren't that size, only I don't have any........Let me know if any of you need of want a different thread, or other ideas's for same. Cheers...............Greg.

Dinny

VOC Member
Hi Greg,

I will have enough to do my bike (4) and my levers are standard Amal threads which I believe is 1BA. I would be happy with ss or plated.

Cheers
Mark

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Is it certain that all Series A’s had these, or like some other parts, whatever the supplier sent?
I suspect you are correct and it all depends on which handlebar levers Vincent received from the suppliers and so fitted at the time. I know some of the early series A's (1935) were fitted with Amal Tidybars which were different to the later setup.

Dinny

VOC Member
My thinking is they were period parts, whilst it's unknown what was fitted to each bike they will fit in nicely and be a bit different from the later screws.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Interestingly, my TTC20 had them (ordered Nov 35, delivered Mar 36). And so did Glyn Baxter's A Twin (the first production one) and a colleague's late A Twin, as well as a mid-37 Meteor of which I am aware. So who knows? Lost in the mists of time I'm afraid...
Peter B

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Brother Harvey has them on HJO 500 (ex Brien Verrel) the one Dave Hills turned down for £50's back in the 60's ! we've all done it.
bananaman

Clay

Non-VOC Member
Hi Greg, Chankley Bore asked me to check my Series A lever screws so I took one out to photograph and measure. I've set the vernier to mm as I thought it might be easier to covert for you but let me know if you want in inches.
It is slightly different to the schematic above and the pitch is 26 tpi.
Let me know if you need anything else.

IMG_9847.jpg
IMG_9848.jpg
IMG_9849.jpg
IMG_9850.jpg
IMG_9851.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Clay, Thanks very much for the pictures, they are excellent. It is unusual for the threads to be so large in diameter, I have never seen a lever perch with the threads that large. Still I haven't had much to do with any pre-war bikes either, mostly all post war. I'll give the pictures and dimensions to my machinist to make copies of them, thanks again..............Greg.