Restoration Pet Hate

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Sorry, just got to say it, why oh why do people restore a Vincent to make them nice and shiney and still use cheap rubbish pattern parts. For ********** sake get the real thing, most is still available if you look. Case in point is the Shadow at the up coming Bonhams sale
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23804/lot/266/?category=list&length=100&page=2
A bike that is estimated at £100k and still uses a cheap knock off repro Miller ammeter and tail light by the look of it. In the write up it notes that the Shadow was taken to an Antique Motorcycle Club of America concours, where it scored a prestigious Junior First rating (at least 90 points on a scale of 100). How does that work?, maybe the 10 point reduction was because of the Miller Repros!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Whilst the original ammeters are available at times, trying to find genuine No 30 E Stop/ tail lights is another matter. How many people go to that trouble.......? I find it hard enough just trying to find original type handlebar levers, decomp levers and the like, but I have done. If it is your own personal bike then it is worth the while and you have time to slowly collect all these rare items, but to restore bikes for a living, it is very hard to go to that much trouble. I seriously doubt there are many 100 % original bikes with all original parts, and the ones that are had very little use. Just try finding genuine Dunlop rims of the correct size that aren't rusted out or damaged. How many bikes still use all their original lighting equipment including the original "Miller" carbon pile regulator.............Not many I would say.

vibrac

VOC Member
After exhaustive testing I am assured that a Genuine stamped Miller rear stop light (circa £500-£780)has no measurable effect on top speed ,MPG or handling characteristics over a (£14.50) flea bay special, and importantly (for some) passes the all important 'five foot test':rolleyes:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
It is my impression that AMCA judges that are intimately familiar with Vincents are thin on the ground. Regarding Indians and HDs, it's a different story, though.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
One of my pet peeve's, that bike having engine number 83xx is a fair amount too early to have the "Vincent Engineers" Mercury Crest transfer.

Albervin

VOC Member
Not sure about a couple of things but; petrol taps, horn/dip switch, centre stand (D), ammeter, handlebar rubbers and possibly tail light would all lose points in a high end
concors competition. It also appears to have the reproduction "Feridax" badge on the back of the seat (surely someone can do screen print replicas seat covers). I am sure the engine is sound but after 10 years I would want to know
what was in this bike when stored (oil). Otherwise it could mean a semi-major strip down. The tyres would certainly be dead and I would replace all hosing, just in case.
Makes my Shadow purchased this year seem a bargain IF it goes for estimate.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Must admit I hadn't even looked at this bike until Alyn pointed out some details. Cripes I can't believe people don't even clean the thing first.......It is covered in dust. There are loads of incorrect bits on this bike, but the allen head cap screws for the front tank bolts is a scream. Look at that picture and see how dirty the bike is, quite unbelievable.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Gallery No. 41 seems to have a tighter exhaust curve, but it could be the camera angle. On the Shadow, maybe the photographer had dandruff. FT161/1 holding the r.h. rider's footrest is two threads short of home. On the plus side,most mods. are at least practical, and it isn't advertised as "factory original". My pet hate, incidentally is H.T. leads in the wrong places. I don't like allen heads , either, but all the modern cheeseheads are wrong anyway.(God, I'm a grumpy old bastard).