Resting her

Ian Watson

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Gents
Probably I'm fussing but, I'm going overseas (to climb a mountain amongst other things). Is there a rough rule of thumb which says a classic bike should be started up every month, or two , or three ? I would like her to be happy.
Thanks.

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Ian,
My feeling is that it is better not to start any engine unless you are going to put some miles on it.
Over the winter here I try to just turn the engine over using the kick start about a couple of times a month.
My theory is that this redistributes the oil in the roller bearings.
Enjoy your mountains, as we enjoyed Sydney Regards John.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hello Ian,
My feeling is that it is better not to start any engine unless you are going to put some miles on it.
Over the winter here I try to just turn the engine over using the kick start about a couple of times a month.
My theory is that this redistributes the oil in the roller bearings.
Enjoy your mountains, as we enjoyed Sydney Regards John.

As you have to turn the engine 15 times to get one spurt, and that after you have turned it gawd knows how many times to get the oil up the pipe, why bother. All you do is wear out the parts where the oil has drained off, mainly the cams.

john998

VOC Member
Hello ,
The idea is not to get more oil in, but as I said to redistribute the oil still there. If you leave a ball or roller bearing sat too long it seems to mark the race.

Regards John.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hello ,
The idea is not to get more oil in, but as I said to redistribute the oil still there. If you leave a ball or roller bearing sat too long it seems to mark the race.

Regards John.

That`s a used oil problem. You would do better to drain all the oil from the case, fill up to bearing level with fresh new oil, and forget. But don`t forget, next time you want to start.

john998

VOC Member
Hello,
I always change the oil before storage, the oil pump usually does the rest.

Regards John.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
I started the Rudge Ulster last week. First kick, first time in about 18 months. I had to drain the Castrol R out of the crankcases (and tip it back in to the oil tank) and add fuel to the stuff in there first. It sounded happy. People 20 miles away told me so.
I, me, myself, I'd drain the fuel out of it, and expect the taps to leak when I came back because they'd dried out. I wouldn't bother with the oil, nor have I for 20-odd years. Maybe I've just been lucky. Pity: you get lucky and it doesn't transfer to buying lottery tickets and premium bonds...life's a bugger sometimes.
(John: got the En3. Thanks. You'll be down to your last 9 foot 10" now...)

Howard

VOC Member
I think John's got the answer above. If you leave heavy loads (crankshaft) on rolling element bearings, the load is concentrated on one point (ball bearing) or a thin line (roller bearings) this leads to Brinelling (or is it false Brinelling - I forget) which causes a small indentation, which causes the bearing to fail sooner than expected. This is a much bigger problem when there's vibration around, like trailoring an unused bike.

I have to say, I'm not sure that the crank is heavy enough to trouble the big main bearings in the Vin, but if my twin is left for any length of time, I dab the kickstart once a month to move the contact points.

H