Required volume of oil tank….

Robert E Naess

Active Forum User
VOC Member
What would an estimate be of the smallest total volume of oil in the system to adequately lubricate a Vincent engine under 'normal' road use conditions?

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I guess in theory this would be quite small, just enough to circulate round the engine but I suppose the issue with reducing the volume would be to keep it cool. enough. An oil cooler would probably be required

davidd

VOC Member
Bob,

I ran two quarts only in the racer, but then that was with Mobil 1!

Single stage, stock pump. I felt as long as there was any surplus in the tank that keeping the volume down would keep the temperature up. There was always oil in the tank.

Coburn seized the big end on the Flash engine at Harewood and the experts he consulted with decided it was due to the oil not being hot enough to flow properly. He was running Castrol R 50W.

The Vincent has a lot of problems shedding heat the longer it is run. Having lots of cooler oil is desirable on an engine that runs for long periods of time at high speeds. At slow speeds (highway speeds) the oil in my engine would just move the peg on the temp meter on the Egli (100F in New England climate). So, the oil will cool the engine.

David

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Castrol r 50 has not been available for a long time. When I spoke to the tech guy at castrol, he said R has a life span of seven years, being a vegetable base it deteriorates. Maybe Mr Benson was not aware of this.

davidd

VOC Member
Roy,

Thanks for the info on the life span. I used 40W Castrol in the Flash when I raced it in the 1990's, which was the highest W available. I think the shelf life in New England where I lived was less than a year due to freezing. Apparently, a very expensive BMW racer was destroyed at an AHRMA race when they used R that had been shipped over to the US. It was believed that the oil froze during transport, and being organic the characteristics changed enough to cause a failure.

Coburn ran the Flash in the 1960's and early 1970's and I believe that was when R was still available here.

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
I was told some of the racers from years ago use to use the gearbox as the oil tank, so combined oil for the engine and gearbox in one. This would give you a normal total volume of 1.2 liters of oil assuming you use the normal gearbox dip stick. I can imagine the oil would get hot rather quickly, and not able to dissipate the heat like the normal tank.......Perhaps drag racers..........?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think the Derek Parkin Vin' used the gearbox as an oil tank, That was used at Silverstone and Cadwell Park etc, Road racing, I spoke to my brother about it the other day, I think the wall between Engine and gearbox was taken out.
His Son Kenny now has it on the road and Ron said he would ask him.
Cheers Bill.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Sharing oil between gearbox and engine is a recipie for disaster! most all 'boxes make debris, now share it with your motor? have you got rocks in your head? Ask any serious mini racer, their motors gave up after 3 hours on the circuit.