Request for advice - Miller dynamo problems

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have PM'd Stuart a more detailed description but the article Len is referring to is MPH 561 October 1995 'A Thousand And One Uses'. Basically I sealed the Dynamo drive and everything else in the chaincase so that it was completely oiltight and airtight. The timed breather was working perfectly and the engine had recently been rebuilt by a reputable expert. The result was that the engine pressurised the chaincase to such an extent that it forced oil through the chaincase and then through the gearbox mainshaft bearings into the gearbox and raised the gearbox oil level until it spilled out of the filler cap. Subsequently it turned out that the engine builder had dispensed with with the drive side main bearing reversed oil scroll and substituted it with a plain spacer. He had then fitted an outer drive side main bearing of a sealed type after removing the inner seal. It transpired that in practice this 'half sealed' bearing acted as a flap valve opening to allow air/oil to enter under pressure on the down stroke of the pistons but neatly closing on the up stroke and so trapping the pressure. With every down stroke of the pistons the pressure in the chaincase increased exponentially with the results as above. Only a rebuild and reversion to a standard drive side main bearing set up solved the problem.

Last edited:

Vic Youel

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Crankcase Pressure

This is my understanding; I may well be wrong and hope I am corrected.

Engine rebuilds normally have a crankcase seal to the chaincase fitted as have both mine. Thus the chaincase should maintain atmospheric pressure and not experience any oil build up.

The dynamo oil thrower should keep the oil in and permit the chaincase to breathe when pressure might build up due to temperature differences of air inside and outside.

The crankcase with a standard breather should maintain a slight average vaccuum and the oil pump ensures proper scavenge of oil so nothing should exude anywhere....... until the piston rings start to wear.

Head down below the parapit now.

Vic:)