Reporting Threads as Offensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I’ve contributed very little to this thread, but hey, let’s not let the truth get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
Yes I did think it rather strange that Graham is being accused of creating so much angst and argy-bargy, I just assumed that he was using mental telepathy or physic powers, I certainly cannot see much evidence of it in his sparse posts.

Albervin

VOC Member
So now a few of you know what it is like to be bullied in public. I agree that some of my posts have been provocative and they did have the desired effect of upsetting a few people. Just imagine then how Graham must feel after being made a whipping boy. I will now take the opportunity to unreservedly apologise to Ernie, Vince and anyone else who been at the receiving end of my intemperance. From now on I will attempt to behave like a model of a modern day major general. (Removes tongue from cheek).

Albervin

VOC Member
And just to give some background. When I was appointed the National co-ordinator/chairman of the 2007 International rally I had to put up with comments that were published in the Victorian Selection Newsletter, 998. that referred to me as Saddam Hussein's half brother, Adolf Hitler's bastard son and more. All authorised by the Victorian Section Organiser, Ken Jackson. The rally was a great success despite the one way animosity from Victoria and, to a lesser extent, South Australia. It was not easy but I had the full backing of the VOC executive behind me and so I persevered and won through. I just wanted to pass that by those of you who have become members in the last decade or so.

A_HRD

VOC Member
And now, given that everyone has had their say, may I respectfully request that we focus on how we might approach the AGM on Sat 23rd October. It is my view that the whole issue should have a line drawn under it from that date - for the sake of the Club. Do remember that voting is different for the AGM. Any Club Member can vote if present in person or on Zoom. (Coming by car? Fill it up with Section Members!)

To achieve a successful outcome will require some apologies both ways, some tolerance of the opinions of others from both sides of the argument and most of all a desire to heal the main rifts as much as is possible. In particular, if Graham gets his HM status and it's confirmed (once and for all) that The Forum remains exactly as is until the CE software can demonstrably match or exceed it, we should acknowledge that we can all move forward, albeit with a shuffling as to who is, and is not, on our Xmas Card Lists.

That does leave the nasty matter of AF's disgraceful comment about Grahams's bikes. However, I do hope that AF's inevitable isolation from his once-friends (including me) will subsequently change his mind and give rise to an apology to all... It would also be extremely useful if the The Exec Committee formally distanced themselves from that comment too.

However, IF the AGM becomes a re-run of the disgraceful scenes of the GCM (ie ongoing character assassination), then I consider it would be valid, perhaps under AOB, for there to be a "Vote of No Confidence" in the Executive Committee for allowing it. Someone should be prepared to put that to the Secretary (in the appropriate timeframe) for inclusion in AOB - but only to be used in the event it is clearly necessary.

Any observations?

Peter B

Albervin

VOC Member
Peter, an excellent and well thought out piece. I admit to being hot-headed but have also apologised there so my comments.
1. The contacts and code for the zoom meeting of the AGM should be widely posted in the week before the meeting. This should be done by the secretary or chairman.
2. The vote for Graham should be just that. No for and against statements. Just Yes or No.
3. Regarding the forum. Well I think that will depend on Phil Mahood who seems to be deaf and mute at the moment.
4.Regarding AF. I fear it may be a cold day in hell before he publicly apologises to Graham and the committee. If that is the case then the executive needs to make a stand and censure him AND demand his resignation from any entity associated with the VOC.
5.I would hope the Chairman will step in early and hard to prevent a re-run of the debacle of the GCM. If Tim thinks he can read his missive again I hope he is told that once is enough. I will have to read the rules of AOB but I think it is a week's notice?
6. BIG PROBLEM!! IF there is a vote of no confidence and it is carried we will need people prepared to stand up for the vacancies.
This has crossed my mind over the last two weeks as I pondered whether the vote should be a general vote against the whole committee or just the Chairman and Secretary. The Secretary's job is by far the most onerous and unless you have a willing AND capable alternative it could be a Pyrrhic victory. The Chairman was so far out of his depth at the GCM he needs to rise to the occasion at the AGM or, sadly, he is gone. When I say gone I mean credibility wise. A lovely guy who was a new member when proposed by AF and seconded by Vincent Speet as Chairman. Well, that came from left field and no idea whether it was politics, sucking up or whatever! It is now beside the point.
7.The VOC had a reputation as being the best single make motorcycle club in the world and its magazine was widely recognised as the par excellence of club magazines. Until December the latter will continue to be the case BUT what then?
8. Looking at the latest MPH it seems that at least 60% of members see posts on the forum and/or the FaceBook page. This post should be copied and pasted to the FaceBook page if we can advise as many as possible to participate in the AGM.
9. This may be seen as whipping up angst, spreading argy bargy, adding to Graham's POWER but I am up for that. What about you?

Tim Kirker

VOC Member
Peter

I appreciate where you are coming from but would raise a couple of points/questions about your final paragraph.

It's clearly too late to submit any formal motion for the agenda and get it into MPH before the meeting. It would therefore be up to the Chairman to decide whether to accept a motion of no confidence on the day. But, having said that, if the meeting was so minded, it wouldn't matter a damn what the Chairman thought!

In the event that such a motion was discussed and passed, the Executive Committee would have no choice but to resign. The big question then is, do you have a shadow Executive Committee lined up to carry on running the club from 24 October?

We all should remember that probably threequarters of the club have no idea about the debate that has been consuming a few dozen of us on this forum for the past few weeks. They might not be too impressed suddenly to find their Club grinding to a halt.

Tim Kirker
And now, given that everyone has had their say, may I respectfully request that we focus on how we might approach the AGM on Sat 23rd October. It is my view that the whole issue should have a line drawn under it from that date - for the sake of the Club. Do remember that voting is different for the AGM. Any Club Member can vote if present in person or on Zoom. (Coming by car? Fill it up with Section Members!)

To achieve a successful outcome will require some apologies both ways, some tolerance of the opinions of others from both sides of the argument and most of all a desire to heal the main rifts as much as is possible. In particular, if Graham gets his HM status and it's confirmed (once and for all) that The Forum remains exactly as is until the CE software can demonstrably match or exceed it, we should acknowledge that we can all move forward, albeit with a shuffling as to who is, and is not, on our Xmas Card Lists.

That does leave the nasty matter of AF's disgraceful comment about Grahams's bikes. However, I do hope that AF's inevitable isolation from his once-friends (including me) will subsequently change his mind and give rise to an apology to all... It would also be extremely useful if the The Exec Committee formally distanced themselves from that comment too.

However, IF the AGM becomes a re-run of the disgraceful scenes of the GCM (ie ongoing character assassination), then I consider it would be valid, perhaps under AOB, for there to be a "Vote of No Confidence" in the Executive Committee for allowing it. Someone should be prepared to put that to the Secretary (in the appropriate timeframe) for inclusion in AOB - but only to be used in the event it is clearly necessary.

Any observations?

Peter B

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.