Reporting Threads as Offensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Graham Smith

I take all reports of offensive posts seriously. Thankfully we don’t get many such reports.

However, if you’re someone who reports posts as being offensive, please remember that there’s no such thing as a right not to be offended.

Our terms and rules can be read here, and have served us well for nearly 15 years.

Please do think twice before reporting a post. Just because you don’t like what someone else is saying, it doesn’t mean that person doesn’t have the right to say it.

If we go down that slippery road, who knows where our forum will end up?

G

Graham Smith

Clearly my post didn’t go down too well, as shortly afterwards there was a complaint about the post above!

I’ve now opened the thread up so people can comment - and also so I can’t be accused of censorship.

How mad that I have to think like this when we’re all members of a simple motorcycle club.

RonandLinda

VOC Membership Secretary
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
I would like to start by quoting from the club rules 2020.
Section 13(a) last sentence; The Honorary Chairman, The Honorary Treasurer, The Honorary Secretary,
for the time being shall be referred to as custodians for the purpose of these rules.

Section 15(e) When debating a motion the commonly accepted rules of debate will apply.

I am prepared to be corrected but I would interpret this to say that the three Exec members referred to in 13(a) are those who should control how the debate is going and if it is in an acceptable direction and if the language and statements are acceptable and substantiated. I would suggest that Mr Tim Kirker and Mr Arthur Farrow were pushing the limits on what is acceptable and also should have been reined in by our Custodians. I would like to quote from Mr Tim Kirkers lengthy post elsewhere on this forum.

" If all of us could be trusted to act honourably and with integrity , of course none of this would be necessary, but maybe we need to acknowledge that we don't all work to the same standards and so these processes that look like overkill are sadly necessary"

Are you joking Tim, what sort of hypocrisy are you referring to here. You must be on a different planet.

Respectfully, Ron Thomas.

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I would like to start by quoting from the club rules 2020.
Section 13(a) last sentence; The Honorary Chairman, The Honorary Treasurer, The Honorary Secretary,
for the time being shall be referred to as custodians for the purpose of these rules.

Section 15(e) When debating a motion the commonly accepted rules of debate will apply.

I am prepared to be corrected but I would interpret this to say that the three Exec members referred to in 13(a) are those who should control how the debate is going and if it is in an acceptable direction and if the language and statements are acceptable and substantiated. I would suggest that Mr Tim Kirker and Mr Arthur Farrow were pushing the limits on what is acceptable and also should have been reined in by our Custodians. I would like to quote from Mr Tim Kirkers lengthy post elsewhere on this forum.

" If all of us could be trusted to act honourably and with integrity , of course none of this would be necessary, but maybe we need to acknowledge that we don't all work to the same standards and so these processes that look like overkill are sadly necessary"

Are you joking Tim, what sort of hypocrisy are you referring to here. You must be on a different planet.

Respectfully, Ron Thomas.
…despite my angry outburst, Mr.Farrow has not withdrawn his comment, nor has he apologized, nor has he been censured.
Clearly it is acceptable for some members to be treated more harshly by the EC for their transgressions than others.
Shame!

Debbie Kemp

VOC Member
Personally I found it offensive that an Exec member was laughing (all be it trying to hide their face with their hand) throughout the verbal attack against the Editor at the recent GCM. Unprofessional, immature and pretty embarrasing.

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Clearly my post didn’t go down too well, as shortly afterwards there was a complaint about the post above!

I’ve now opened the thread up so people can comment - and also so I can’t be accused of censorship.

How mad that I have to think like this when we’re all members of a simple motorcycle club.
Mine was the response.

Please post it

With all due respect may I suggest that this thread is another example of you whipping up angst in the troops.

Also, respectfully, Graham, please tell us what you wish to see as the outcome of all this argy-bargy. ( this is mild British English slang).

I would have liked this to be my last contribution to this thread and any others of this ilk. I would like to stick strictly to technical matters as was intended.

However I am moved to say that after a week of fruitless and sometimes nasty exchanges- 13 pages - 130 posts - I accuse the administrator of this thread (and others) of failing to enforce his own rules of conduct.

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
I can't speak for Graham but I can tell you what the majority of the users of the present forum want. That is to leave the present forum alone, To leave all its varioius faciliies intact and to cease to pester Graham about cutting out parts of it. We are happy to see what happens with a forum on CE and if the exec find CE to be useful and good value for money with the internal admin of the VOC then all well and good. It would also be good to see certain members of the exec behaving in a more mature manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.