Reporting Threads as Offensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Tim and Vince,

It was not Alyn who made the point about debate and the conduct of debate. It was me. Vince, not so long ago in an unrelated conversation a large number of people on the forum switched to using their real names and mine is there for all to see.

I am trying to persuade each of us to reflect on what we are saying, as we all know once you say something it cant be taken back. I hope that cooler heads can prevail, I love this club. I don't know Graham all that well and I don't know Tim, Arthur or Phil either. I don't have a grudge to bear or skin in the game

In my experience when there are heated debates or arguments in order to fully understand the points of both parties you have to step into the shoes of those that have opposing views to your own.

This current division in the Club over the forum looks to me like this. We as a Club did not have a Computer Officer for the longest time. Members of the EC and Club were running the computer systems as there was no dedicated person or person's to supervise the systems. Graham being the editor of MPH stepped up and offered to create a forum for all members to use. He obviously was enjoying what he was doing and worked very hard to give the membership a quality resource. Graham donated many, many hours from what I can see to make MPH and the forum what they are today. At some point in the last couple of years two things have happened, the club has found someone who has volunteered to take up the mantel of Computer Officer, awesome. The club has decided now that we have a Computer Officer that we can look to update and streamline our computer systems, again awesome.

However this is where things take a turn for the worst. Phil Mahood in his position as Computer Officer is tasked by the EC with finding a replacement computer system for the club . In the search for a new computer system Phil finds Club Express through conversations with the head of the AMCA. Phil takes the CE platform to our EC and explains how it works and why it would be of benefit. This is a good thing for the most part. Phil then presents a working version of Club Express to the GC and EC it seems to work well and combines most of our systems into one. The one major issue is the forum on CE is sub standard and this is obvious to Graham who has spent years refining the current forum for the membership. Graham expresses that the forum is sub par and is thinking not of himself but the many hundreds of people that currently use the forum. The Computer Officer tries to dispel the weakness of the CE forum as he has taken ownership of the programme he is putting forward and believes given time that we might be able to migrate the current forum over. Migrating the forum to CE proves almost impossible and we are left with a pickle, Graham feels unheard and upset as he knows the CE forum will not match the standard of the existing forum. That leaves us in a position where both Graham and the EC are at an impasse, all are proud and loyal club members. The majority of the EC decide to use Club Express and that the current forum can stay in place until CE can provide something better. Graham resigns.

I know other things have been expressed by all parties and that blame can be allocated to both sides. Heated arguments often leave us regretting what we have said and from the video footage it seems to me thats the case. I don't think either party wakes up each day and says to themselves how much evil can I do today. All the people concerned have the best interests of the club they love at heart. It again requires listening and working together to try to resolve these issues.

People on this forum just want to know that the EC will do as promised and leave the forum alone until such time as it can migrated to the other platform seamlessly or if it can't that it will remain as is. If it were added to the minutes of the next meeting or tabled in writing in MPH by the Chairman that might help.

Best,

Gene.
Thanks mate. I re-read my post and couldn't find the paragraph to which Vince was referring. Vince is one of those people for whom I have great respect but would not call a friend nor a foe. I did him a HUGE favour some years ago (in return for a minor favour) and I wonder if he remembers that? I will not discuss the details as it was private but we both ended up with what we wanted.

Albervin

VOC Member
So we know 4294 people have logged on to the website at sometime ,but you say not all are members.
You responded to my post when I said I had been told about 200 VOC members used the Forum, could someone let us all know just what the number is?

You suggest these 4394 are website members, I wasn't aware looking at the website gave any kind of membership status.

Vince Farrell
Vince, page 4 of September MPH. Online forum VOC members 1419! Online forum NON VOC members 2925. Facebook followers on VOC site 2326. ALL the best information is in MPH.

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Clearly my post didn’t go down too well, as shortly afterwards there was a complaint about the post above!

I’ve now opened the thread up so people can comment - and also so I can’t be accused of censorship.

How mad that I have to think like this when we’re all members of a simple motorcycle club.
Mine was the response.

Please post it. Surely you are not censoring it.

With all due respect may I suggest that this thread is another example of you whipping up angst in the troops.

Also, respectfully, Graham, please tell us what you wish to see as the outcome of all this argy-bargy. ( this is mild British English slang).

I would have liked this to be my last contribution to this thread and any others of this ilk. I would like to stick strictly to technical matters as was intended.

However I am moved to say that after a week of fruitless, ill informed and sometimes nasty exchanges - 13 pages - 130 posts - I accuse the administrator of this thread (and others) of failing to enforce his own rules of conduct.

This was posted at the start of this thread. Where has it ended up? Chinese whispers. ( no disrespect to the Chinese. More mild British English slang)

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
Mine was the response.

Please post it.

With all due respect may I suggest that this thread is another example of you whipping up angst in the troops.

Also, respectfully, Graham, please tell us what you wish to see as the outcome of all this argy-bargy. ( this is mild British English slang).

I would have liked this to be my last contribution to this thread and any others of this ilk. I would like to stick strictly to technical matters as was intended.

However I am moved to say that after a week of fruitless, ill informed and sometimes nasty exchanges - 13 pages - 130 posts - I accuse the administrator of this thread (and others) of failing to enforce his own rules of conduct.

This was posted at the start of this thread. Where has it ended up? Chinese whispers. ( no disrespect to the Chinese. More mild British English slang)
A bit of an unusual post there. Most of Ernie's post was made quite a while ago. It takes a very close look to see this and may be missed by some. He has now added to that post and then re-posted it with two extra paragraphs. This makes it look like a new post rather than a re-post with an addendum. As far as "failing to enforce rules" then we need look no further than the last GCM. There were, without a shadow of doubt, illegal votes cast. I actually cast an illegal vote on purpose to see if it was counted. It was! As Aesop said; Be careful what you wish for. Since Arthur Farrow raised concerns as to how Graham acquired all of his Vincents then someone may raise the same concerns about the extensive collection Ernie has but I am sure it is all above board. And let us not forget that for all intents and purposes Ernie is just an ordinary member, no special privileges, needing a proxy to be allowed to vote at the GCM (under review) BUT closely associated to the secretary. I think the general membership will see it for that it is.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I was rather surprised to see Mr Lowingers post above. I refer to him in this formal way as he has instructed me that he regards me an an ex-friend and requires that I no longer try to communicate with him personally. The question, which is there in Albervin's post above is 'what is this to do with Mr Lowinger?' As far as I know he has no formal position and as for accusing Graham of 'whipping up angst' then what is his post? My own view is that his post is best ignored.

Albervin

VOC Member
I was rather surprised to see Mr Lowingers post above. I refer to him in this formal way as he has instructed me that he regards me an an ex-friend and requires that I no longer try to communicate with him personally. The question, which is there in Albervin's post above is 'what is this to do with Mr Lowinger?' As far as I know he has no formal position and as for accusing Graham of 'whipping up angst' then what is his post? My own view is that his post is best ignored.
Feel free to call me Alyn in the future. While I maintain my Avatar etc. I think after all these years most members know who I am, for better or worse. One of the funniest avatars I have ever seen is a prominent member's e-bay name; "Baldbutsexy" LOL

G

Graham Smith

Mine was the response.

Please post it. Surely you are not censoring it.

I’ve contributed very little to this thread, but hey, let’s not let the truth get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
Thanks mate. I re-read my post and couldn't find the paragraph to which Vince was referring. Vince is one of those people for whom I have great respect but would not call a friend nor a foe. I did him a HUGE favour some years ago (in return for a minor favour) and I wonder if he remembers that? I will not discuss the details as it was private but we both ended up with what we wanted.
Alyn Vincent has recently (with a total lack of self-awareness) explained to us how to have civilized debate. I live in a Yorkshire mining area and am not fazed by the language used in Australia and the Welsh valleys where he obviously perfected his prose, but the Forum is not the place to use it.

----------------------------------

In this post earlier I said Alyn Vincent had been the poster of "how to have a civilized debate" but I was mistaken. I unreservedly apologise to him for my error and ask folk to strike of the first sentence.

It now reads;
I live in a Yorkshire mining area and am not fazed by the language used in Australia and the Welsh valleys where he obviously perfected his prose, but the Forum is not the place to use it.

I stick by this statement, a look at some of Alyn's post will confirm why this is my opinion.

I also wonder why he thinks doing me "A HUGE favour" has any relevance to this thread, any why he feels everyone should be made aware of it? At the time he didn't tell me I had to agree with everything he says for the rest of my life.

Vince Farrell

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
And it goes on n on.
Who s playing Prosper K' s role here, being late?
no offence, just throwing some petrol on a burning thread.

Maybe someone makes an other silly woman offensive joke here, and thread ll be shut down...

Or shall i make some resemblance ones referring odd 80 jrs ago.

I might get even expelled.

Get over it guys, forgive n forget.
We cannot be all friends.

But we ALL sure love them strange V twins.

Keep it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.