Replicas, Specials, Fakes and Forgeries The Classic Motorcycle September, 2020

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Interesting subject, but just scratches the surface.

David

Robert Watson

VOC Member
My favourite is still the ex cycle world editor judging at a reasonably large concours where I had my two A's just to support the local Club. I had put the TT Rep in my wife's name on the entry just for fun.
As the Judges walked by without even stopping I heard him remark. Well it's a Replica, never been run and owned by a woman. Then they gave best in show (Rules were min 25 years old) to a brand new (less than 6 months old but registered as a 1968) Godet Egli and when informed of this just said, we know and we don't care.
That incident ended the concours at that venue for ever!

vibrac

VOC Member
I wince a bit at the Clubs Vincent being referred to in the CM mag as "Out on the road"o_O Sadly (very sadly) as far as I know its been stuck in a NZ museum (or two) ever since it had to be auctioned because no (first offer) club members wanted to buy it, A great pity as it was probably put together with more care and better machined parts than any bike available at the time.
That it seems is a good summary of the investor side of the business personally I have always regarded replicas (sorry evocations) as real bargains.