Replacing Magneto pinion?

Dally

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm having some problems replacing the magneto pinion on my ATD. How do you dismantle this? According to Know thy beast you just drift the main unit off the pinion/ring with a few blows with a soft drift. When I tried this I ended up with a bent ring and baseplate. I then drilled the heads off the rivets and managed to get the pinion and ring off but am now stuck with the rivets hanging from the baseplate....Help!

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I suspect that many members do not tackle the ATD unless they have a good deal of experience with them. They are surprisinly difficult to get working well. If the pinion is worn it is more likely that the rest of the device has problems. I have used manual or electronic ignition advance for so long, I am unable to help. If I needed a good ATD I would have to buy one from Roy Wood.

David

b'knighted

VOC Member
Roy Wood - didn't he have something to do with the Wombles? I'd recommend refering to the adverts in the back of MPH.

Dally

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks chaps for your input but I still would like to know how to pull it apart as the overal condition doesn't look too bad. Apart from where I've bent it.

Ian

ossie

VOC Member
2..drill out rivets and punch througH
,3.. then the ring on the taper end is drifted off by knocking the centre part through.
1.. slip out the c washer take off springs and bob weights taking note of how they fit look out for any small washers.
do the third line first ?????.follow numbers.
once its all over the floor checkd luck
OSSIE

davidd

VOC Member
Roy Price! Yes thank you. I don't know why I said Roy Wood. I never took to him in Wizzard or ELO. Just a little too Pop for my taste although he nearly invented Glam Rock. Birmingham lads as I remember.

David