• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

    Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

    You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

    If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

    If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Replacing G104 Gearbox Oil Filler


Well Known and Active Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
A friend of mine is going to bring in a Vincent twin with a damaged G104, gearbox oil filler. How is it fastened to the left engine case, threaded or press fit? Since the cap is also dented, I was going to use a pair of mole grips to remove the cap and filler if it is threaded into the crankcase half. If it is pressed in I was going to cut the top of the cap and filler neck off.

John Mead


Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member

It's threaded. New ones are available at a reasonable cost from the VOCSC - probably also from Cov Spares.

If you can get the cap off, you might consider turning-up a spacer to fit snugly in the bore of the filler so that it doesn't collapse under the action of the mole-grips…

Best of Luck,

Peter B
Bristol, UK
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame.
Warning! This thread is more than 8yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.