SP: Spring Boxes (Rear) Replacing F35/1..

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am replacing F35/1. I have the stud inserted into the rear of the oil tank FT1, with the shock absorber D8 on the mid-point of the stud.
My question is..How do I compress the spring boxes, which have petteford springs in them in order to get them onto the ends of F35/1 without buggering up the threads on the end of the stud?

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I am replacing F35/1. I have the stud inserted into the rear of the oil tank FT1, with the shock absorber D8 on the mid-point of the stud.
My question is..How do I compress the spring boxes, which have petteford springs in them in order to get them onto the ends of F35/1 without buggering up the threads on the end of the stud?
At the suggestion of my good friend R.Watson Esq. I made up a spring compressor that solved the problem.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Baz, If you've got the bike on the front and rear stands, it doesn't take much to lift the centre of the bike to fit the springs, it helps if you've got someone leaning on the front mudguard. Alternatively, you could stick a piece of wood between the RFM upright and the back of the battery carrier. (see pic) Cheers, Stu.

Attachments

• 25 in a jam.jpg
    25 in a jam.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 12

vibrac

VOC Member
We have a Jack that fits under the engine and raises it up that way both ends of the bike come clear and can be worked on as can the Engine top and sides - The racer is currently having a top end, amended Rear AVO, checking the new 7" TLS brake and changing the fork springs all at the same time (well in the same strip down anyway)