Replacement Carburettor

Puddle jumper

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Gang,
Any one got views on the best aftermarket / replacement carburettors for my 1947 HRD V twin, I am about to start rebuilding the engine in the next month or so, and wondered what carbs would give the best performance, the engine is stock, but I think it had larger valves fitted in the early sixties, but until it is stripped, I will not know.
Also what CC can it be bored too with out over stressing the old girl to much and who does this type of work in the UK.

Cheers Paul

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
If u want larger or higher performance carbs I would go Mikuni. If keeping more original , monoblocs are being re-manufactured , but not pre monobloc.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Alternative carbs

I got the original carbs re-sleeved. They work fine. It goes to 100 mph, runs smoothly throughout the rev range, and ticks over like a steam engine.
I've been told that Amal Mk II are MUCH better than anything Amal before, so those, or Mikunis are probably the best bet. Or Gardners: bloody marvellous devices.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Carbs

Pre monoblocs are being re manufactured by Burlen with the 1 1/8" being sold through the spares company! After all thats what Vincent fitted (276 on Rap's and 289 on Shadows and Comets)

Avoid Mk2 Amals and go straight for the Mikuni's. I would suggest a max of 34mm bore on standard heads, with 32mm being as compromise between power and performance.

Neil

Puddle jumper

Non-VOC Member
Hi gang,
Does any one know the part numbers, jetting size etc for the 34mm Mikuni's and the best place to get them.

Cheers

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Pre monoblocs are being re manufactured by Burlen with the 1 1/8" being sold through the spares company! After all thats what Vincent fitted (276 on Rap's and 289 on Shadows and Comets)

Avoid Mk2 Amals and go straight for the Mikuni's. I would suggest a max of 34mm bore on standard heads, with 32mm being as compromise between power and performance.

Neil

I didn't know that !! Brilliant , don't need to restore my Raps now !!

pifinch

Non-VOC Member
I bought 34 mm Dellortos from Don Godden a few years back, they came with HIS suggested jet sizes & the bike starts-ticks over like a dream; This was before the current tie in with Conways.