• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

    Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

    You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

    If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

    If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Replacement carbs.


New Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
I wish to replace the worn out 276s, [will be saved], on my Rapide with more modern carbs for easier starting, better response etc. Can any light be shed, from experience, which of Concentrics, Amal mk.11,Monoblocs, Keihin, Dell'Ortos or the other Jap one whose name escapes me now are the better performers on our v-twins?


Active Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
Buy a new set of 276`s from VOC spares or Burlen, it will transform the running and tickover. If you go that route get them painted by the makers before purchase.

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Kevin Trail of Alverstoke Restorations (02392 580 708 after 1630) will rebore worn out 276's for around £70 the pair, and return them in about a week. I had my 289's done about four years ago: no complaints. If you buy new, then Amal MkII are good (but huge) and Mikuni 28 mm are popular. Amal Monobloc and Mark I ("concentrics") are both built down to a price. On balance I'd probably go for a rebore first (no buggering about with jetting and cables etc), and second the Mikunis, which function well, and are very well made.

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
my rapide was fitted with mk2 amals by the previous owner "to improve the starting" it not only starts it also runs real strong. you will not go wrong with new carburettors.
Warning! This thread is more than 12yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.