Replacement carbs.

RSK1342

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I wish to replace the worn out 276s, [will be saved], on my Rapide with more modern carbs for easier starting, better response etc. Can any light be shed, from experience, which of Concentrics, Amal mk.11,Monoblocs, Keihin, Dell'Ortos or the other Jap one whose name escapes me now are the better performers on our v-twins?

bengunnhrd

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Buy a new set of 276`s from VOC spares or Burlen, it will transform the running and tickover. If you go that route get them painted by the makers before purchase.

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Kevin Trail of Alverstoke Restorations (02392 580 708 after 1630) will rebore worn out 276's for around £70 the pair, and return them in about a week. I had my 289's done about four years ago: no complaints. If you buy new, then Amal MkII are good (but huge) and Mikuni 28 mm are popular. Amal Monobloc and Mark I ("concentrics") are both built down to a price. On balance I'd probably go for a rebore first (no buggering about with jetting and cables etc), and second the Mikunis, which function well, and are very well made.

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
my rapide was fitted with mk2 amals by the previous owner "to improve the starting" it not only starts it also runs real strong. you will not go wrong with new carburettors.