Repair of crankcases with chopped gearbox.

Pushrod Twin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Genedn, you might like to view the post Crank case Inspection. I havent stated it specifically yet, but you will see shortly from the pictures that my design criteria for the Norton gearbox hook up on these chopped cases was in fact to have standard Vincent swing arm position dimension & be structural enough to have a standard RFM & UFM built around them. I have 1 engine destined for an Egli replica frame I have built the other for "standardish" Vincent components.

Dinny

VOC Member
I got these pictures of engine I think number 1 from somewhere.

Cheers Mark

image.jpg
image.jpg

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I recently heard that Vic Buller had died can anyone confirm this?
Son Graham has written the obituary in the VMCC Journal that arrived today.
I encouraged Vic and Graham to keep campaigning their twin when I was involved with VMCC racing. Back then it was usually the only Vincent twin to be seen at the race meetings.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes I remember they had a fine old time with their gearbox eligibility but Vic never missed a trick he had cast iron proof that the mod was done way back in the late fifties and thus was a "period" modification.
although we were often running against Graham, Ben and I always found a welcome in their caravan and Vic used to make many a nod and a wink about what his latest Vincent mod was or how close we were running to the rule book, all in good houmour- He was a great guy very much missed.

davidd

VOC Member
I got these pictures of engine I think number 1 from somewhere.

Cheers Mark

I took these photos about ten years ago. They are posted in this forum. As I remeber it is a marine engine that the Factory returned to a chassis. I posted the photos because Cycle World did an article on the bike, which was owned by Herb Harris.

David

davidd

VOC Member
Son Graham has written the obituary in the VMCC Journal that arrived today.
I encouraged Vic and Graham to keep campaigning their twin when I was involved with VMCC racing. Back then it was usually the only Vincent twin to be seen at the race meetings.

Very sorry to hear that. I was always interested in their racing, but it was not covered very often in MPH. I only have two photos of the racers, the twin above and the Comet below:

BullerComet.jpg

David

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
That story & pics of #1 is very cool for a whole bunch of reasons.
Mine will end up looking similar with the standard looking primary chain case on that side. I would love to see what is lurking under the chain case of that one. My guess is a single row primary chain & Dominator clutch from that era? And how is the left plate attached to the case?

Oldhaven

VOC Member
That story & pics of #1 is very cool for a whole bunch of reasons.
Mine will end up looking similar with the standard looking primary chain case on that side. I would love to see what is lurking under the chain case of that one. My guess is a single row primary chain & Dominator clutch from that era? And how is the left plate attached to the case?

I also noticed the somewhat different valve cover and inspection caps, with the larger HRD and no Vincent scroll. Are these prototypes, from earlier models, or are they a one off owner addition?