Repair of crankcases with chopped gearbox.

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A question a little off topic. Is it possible and has anyone ever repaired a set of cases with gearbox removed so you can run a stock set up?

Has anyone run this type of unit in a regular frame set up?

Cheers.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
A question a little off topic. Is it possible and has anyone ever repaired a set of cases with gearbox removed so you can run a stock set up?

Has anyone run this type of unit in a regular frame set up?

Cheers.
I lost the plot and made a new thread. This was a question for another thread.

But I am curious to know if any one has repaired a set of chopped cases. I am also interested to know if anyone has seen a chopped motor with a norton box in a regular RFM and UFM.

Thnx.

b'knighted

VOC Member
There was, recently offered in auction, a bike purporting to be an enclosed D but built around a chopped engine. As Comets run separate gearboxes in a regular frame setups, we shouldn't be too surprised.
I did read some decades ago, about a set of twin cases which had been destroyed by a tractor running over them being reassembled and recommissioned. It must be possible to weld back a sawn off gearbox case if the bits have been retained.

davidd

VOC Member
I am also interested to know if anyone has seen a chopped motor with a norton box in a regular RFM and UFM.

Thnx.

The photo below is a chopped engine with a Norton gearbox in a stock chassis. Built by John Renwick and last raced by the Bullers.

MickyCarter Buller Renwick01.jpg

David

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I remember seeing someone racing one with the VMCC I think this is the same one, it had a fibreglass shell over the norton box to give the appearance of an unchopped engine.
If you used a norton box with a commando clutch and turned off the middle row of teeth you could probably run a dynamo as per standard. I'm sure it is possible to build a set of plates to use a RFM with a chopped motor/seperate box and do a really neat job. I'll give it a go if someone wants to donate a ready to run chopped engine and chassis.

Chris.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I have often been asked at swap meets and bike rallies if I "Know" of any chopped case available to build up a 'Special'. Obviously the answer is NO. I think if some new cases were made that had some extra vertical mounting plates cast into the rear face, to attach some engine to gearbox plates....there would be some demand for it....does anyone out there agree.? As it might be something I will look into at some stage to get the ball rolling. Certainly easier than a full set of original cases, cheers......Greg.

A_HRD

VOC Member
And Bob Dunn has done a few over the years - welded and machined a gearbox back in place that is. Alas no more, as advancing age and poor health catch-up with him…

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series A Front Frame

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Mike White repaired a set of "C" shadow cases many years ago by putting a new set of lugs onto the back of the transmission to replace those that had been removed to fit the engine into a featherbed frame..not the same I know, but difficult nonetheless..