Removing UFM for the first time.

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi all, I am attempting to remove the UFM (complete with forks etc) for the first time, I have removed all relevent bolts, cables, wires etc and yet I cannot get any movement from the front or rear attachments.
Being very reluctant to apply brute force, I am wondering if there is something I may have missed or don't know about, I have left bracket FT3 connected to the head and removed bolt F47/3. Any ideas? :mad:

Thanks in advance.
Kevin Dennis

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you are really sure that all the fixings are removed then use a tyre lever or large screwdriver between the bracket FT3 and the lower part of the cast iron bracket which fits over or into the front FT3. Lever so that the front of the oil tank moves upwards and do not force anything. The Vincent frame design relies on this being a good fit so the need for a little bit of force is a good thing. Once the front one has moved upward insert a piece of wood or hard plastic and then do the same at the rear. Once you have done it you will find it is easier than you feared. Good luck.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Make sure the machine is well supported under the rear frame/gearbox area and tighten the steering damper well to stop the front wheel altering the balance of things! Sometimes a little Penetrene or WD 40 helps once things have started to move.You nearly always forget to disconnect one wire,cable or oil line!Having the damper tight also makes it easier to steer and park the front end.Make sure the front wheel cannot drop too far once the rear fixing is free-it can bash oil return line around if you are unlucky.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Have you knocked out the F83/1 tube nuts fron the other side? These are dowelled through the UFM into the brackets.

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Have you knocked out the F83/1 tube nuts fron the other side? These are dowelled through the UFM into the brackets.
Hi Pete, was nice to meet you, Russ, Deb and the rest in the Lake District for a chat and put faces to a few names.
Mate I have not been able to identify/find F83/1 tube nuts, could you give a little more info please.
Kevin

Edit:
Thanks Pete, found the F83/1....I have a Comet....the F83/1 is only for the twin ?..(I hope)

Last edited:

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Hello Kevin

Sorry, I think that I have got my part numbers in a knot. What I am talking about is the tube nut that goes on the other end of F47/3 and spigots into the FT3.

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Hello Kevin

Sorry, I think that I have got my part numbers in a knot. What I am talking about is the tube nut that goes on the other end of F47/3 and spigots into the FT3.

Ahaa! I am so glad you mentioned that Pete, because it made me have a closer look at Drawing M030, I was wondering why the holes in the UFM were larger than the through hole on the FT3, now I see the issue...this bucket of misfit nuts and bolts is actually missing both of those shouldered nuts ET154.
Oh well simply adds to the list of bits I have to make or buy, (might be time to invest in a lathe I think) if the missus ever discovers how much this project has cost me so far she will be wearing my b***s for ear rings.

Thanks Pete, Chankly and timetraveller, snuck back out into shed and levered it apart after a liberal squirt of WD40 and 2 fingers of rum.

nkt267

VOC Member
snuck back out into shed and levered it apart after a liberal squirt of WD40 and 2 fingers of rum
Be VERY careful, that WD40 does terrible things to your stomach:D..John