Removing Cylinders

SteveF

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm stripping the Vin so reseal the crankcases. I've got to the 'remove the cylinders' part.
They (both of them) come up about 10 cm and then seem to jam. I haven't removed the cylinder bolts ET55/2.
Is this what's preventing me pulling the cylinders off?

Cheers - Steve

SteveF

Non-VOC Member
Hmm, with some additional bravery, I pulled a bit harder. This has now separated an aluminium plate sitting between the crankcase mouth and barrel.
This seems to be what is holding the barrels in place.
Still, the mystery deepens. When I bought the bike the previous owner claimed it had high compression pistons. Seems a bit odd to put these in and then put packing under the barrels as this would then reduce it again.

Anyone offer a view on why such a thing should be done?

Cheers - Steve

vibrac

VOC Member
Done it myself.
Almost like Triumphs the best road bikes to ride have lower compression ratios so if you bought a high comp and wanted to lower it (In my case an ex racer engine) just stick some compression plates in it surprising how the Volume in CC increases for modest plate thicknesses. Back in the lean years low pistons may not have been available for the bore so plates were another way to get where you need to go in terms of CR once you find the joy of low compression on the next re bore get some lower comp pistons the lean years are over.