Removing carbon from exhaust pipes.

jim burgess

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a very old set of pipes and silencer that I intend to rechrome. The plater is agreeable but has asked me to remove as much carbon as possible. The downpipes I can do mechanically. BUT, I have been advised to use caustic soda for the absortion type silencer. Can anybody give me any tips on how to go about this? I have heard many bad things... How do you dispose of the waste product, what do you store it in, how do you use it, is there a better way? There must be a way!?
cheers
jim burgess

vibrac

VOC Member
Not being domestic I cannot be sure,but there are things called sinks in parts of the house used sometimes as temporary workshops ('kitchens' they are call i believe)and I overheard once that the pipes attached to them are called drains and that caustic soda is used to clear them
I know no more than that :)

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Now that you remind me I remember removing baked on oil from the exterior of my SS silencer with paint stripper. It worked well.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Loan me the pipes..ill put them on my bike for a few days, after which I guarantee there will be no carbon left in the pipes..

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Unfortunately you must use a chemical rather than mechanical means of cleansing as carbon residues make the plater's baths very unhappy. If using caustic soda add soda to warm water, slowly- not the reverse!

hrdsuper90

VOC Member
For the silencer, why not make some good fitting wood bungs and seal them in with silicone ?
Afterwards drill a hole insert a large screw and remove.
Worked for me, Chris

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Great info in this thread. I just cleaned up 2 sets of exhausts using paint stripper and a scotch bright pad. Worked a treat in removing long baked on oil and grease. Then a quick buff on the bench polisher with a bit of paste and all is pristine....Martyn