Removing Brampton forks

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Brampton forks

I have a set of Brampton forks to remove from a B Rapide. what is the approved method for doing so? This set is show finished with nice shiny black paint, so scratching or damage is to be avoided. Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Craig

Last edited:

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
remove the front wheel, mudguard & stays, headlamp and speedo. Remove the locknuts from the spindles, unwind the top spindles a couple of turns each alternately until you can remove the top links. Remove nut from top of fork spring, lower fork blades and remove spring. Then unscrew the bottom spindles until the links can be removed and lift away the fork blades. Remove damper knob and bottom spindle, the steering damper can be removed from below. Remove handlebar clamps and handlebars. Loosen cotter pin nut, unscrew large nut on headstem and remove top casting. Drop bottom casting with headstem to complete removal.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
No preload on Bampton spring - just lower the forks until it clears the upper mount, then unscrew from the retaining lugs on the bottom casting.:)

craig

VOC Member
Is there an owners manual for Brampton forks of this era 1940-1950? Maybe not specific for Vincent, but for Brampton forks set?
IM000250_small.JPG
vincent-hrd-rapide-1-31402.jpg
fork-sidebar-2.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
What is the method for lubricating Brampton forks ? I see a problem with the lower friction discs and lubrication.
MO30Brampton.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Yes, thank you, I understand that one Brampton shaft............but what about the other 3 shafts?
I can visualize drilling the two lower spindles to inject grease to the lower bushings, but do I want to do that and risk having it migrate out, all over the friction discs

Last edited:

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
The correct original oilite bushes require oil, not grease. If bronze bushes are fitted, then grease nipples and grease are necessary !!

craig

VOC Member
Any photos of how these grease fitting are provided for the three spindles not addressed above?
How do we prevent oil or grease from soaking the friction discs?
Or is there a procedure to apply lube that is not well known or obvious?
Thanks
Craig
The correct original oilite bushes require oil, not grease. If bronze bushes are fitted, then grease nipples and grease are necessary !!