removing barrells

jellywrestler

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I stripped my motor down quite a few years ago and the barrells were tight in the crankcases, didn't think too much of it at the time as i had to strip the whole bottom end so they came out easily when I indid other things.
I'm about to take the heads off and may have to remove the barrels, is there a trick to this?

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Yep,
The bolts/studs at the top of the cases clamp onto the part of the liner that goes into the cases.

With the top bolts/studs loose the liner should be a slide fir into the cases.

HTH
Neil

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
Yep,
The bolts/studs at the top of the cases clamp onto the part of the liner that goes into the cases.

With the top bolts/studs loose the liner should be a slide fir into the cases.

HTH
Neil
So you`re happy to squeeze the liner in a bit more to reduce your piston clearance ?

jellywrestler

Non-VOC Member
P1050692.jpgP1050691.jpgP1050694.jpgalright the Barrell I wanted off is now off, now the next question... see if you can guess it?
freshly rebuilt motor 285 miles one of the gudgeon circlips pretty well gone and at the bottom of the stroke there's similar marks, omega piston marked VOC suspect they're E7/AS/D 7.3:1

Bracker1

VOC Member
Make sure the pistons are centered in the bore of the cylinder. If the rod isn't spaced on the flywheel properly the piston can be offset and a thrust force is placed on the circlip. Just a thought. Dan

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
So you`re happy to squeeze the liner in a bit more to reduce your piston clearance ?
Surely as long as the mouth of the crankcase is no tighter round the liner than the muff shrink fit into the liner, then it would be difficult to reduce the piston clearance by simply lightly gripping the the circumference of the liner, after all you cannot simply push a liner out of a muff without heat,or should I say you should not be able to do so, so why should you able to pull the liners out of the crankcase mouth without loosening the crankcase bolts, see KTB first edition,page 114, Barrel and Piston

clevtrev

VOC Member
Surely as long as the mouth of the crankcase is no tighter round the liner than the muff shrink fit into the liner, then it would be difficult to reduce the piston clearance by simply lightly gripping the the circumference of the liner, after all you cannot simply push a liner out of a muff without heat,or should I say you should not be able to do so, so why should you able to pull the liners out of the crankcase mouth without loosening the crankcase bolts, see KTB first edition,page 114, Barrel and Piston
Only if you bored the liner with it clamped in the case.

jellywrestler

Non-VOC Member
Looks like circlips weren't in properly or broke up for some reason and chewed thier way out,nasty.
Chris.
it's chicken before the egg here I'm thinking The marks which are quite deep are on both sides of the barrells ones a little bigger than the other but only one clip came out and there's not much scoring in the barrell that side so is this a result of the clip coming out or the clip came out later?

Albervin

VOC Member
In an old MPH (forget which one) is a nice little quote from Bob Dunn; "liners should be 0.005" less in OD than the crankcase mouth into which they fit".
On my "A" I have to relieve the crankcase bolts to remove the cylinder but not on any of the post war Vincents I have. None has a leakage problem.