Remove Me

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is there some way you can delete me and anything I've ever had to say from this place?
Note to the webmaster: a week or so ago someone made a similar request on BritBike Forum. As a result, that site crashed repeatedly over the next week (it's still acting flaky) and an unknown number of threads containing valuable information disappeared forever (the site didn't have a backup). Although many of the guy's posts were removed, some are still there. Things are quite entangled on any forum like this, so please proceed with great caution. Trying to accomodate a request like this for one person can inadvertently cause considerable unforseen damage to a number of others.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Just to be clear, my response wasn't aimed at you at all. I don't know why you want to have everything of yours removed, but if the webmaster has never encountered this before I wanted to be sure he didn't quickly hit some master delete key without considering what a tangled web any forum is. I don't even see how it is possible to remove a single person's posts without also removing those of others. Even in the simplest case of threads you started, those threads may have wandered off in completely different directions so removing the thread would remove all of the stuff that had nothing to do with whatever it was you wrote. It really has been a disaster on BritBike Forum that is still ongoing (the number of people logged on at any given time seems to me to be no more than half of those before the disaster struck).

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I don't care.... i want nothing of mine recorded here.
That's what General Petraeus said as well. But, as he discovered, what happens on the web, stays on the web.

To anyone else reading this, if you don't want anything of yours recorded here, don't write it in the first place. If you do write it, it will be recorded. And archived here, cached by Google for a period of time, and on the Wayback Machine forever.

vibrac

VOC Member
Take it off and its still available sites like the "way back machine" keep a copy of pages deleted
All you have done is to encourage us all to re read your posts more avidly
they are interesting even if you went a little away from the subject (with Sids help) on compression ratios

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
 Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit,
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
 Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it."

Ommar Khayyam

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Is there some way you can delete me and anything I've ever had to say from this place?
I would not fret to much Rip, I did try to glean some information on the Vincent that you are selling but alas I found nothing, no matter how much google searching I did, I guess all you your posts will be long forgotten soon enough without intervention.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
they are interesting even if you went a little away from the subject (with Sids help) on compression ratios
Now that I know where to look, I just skimmed through the posts in the compression ratio thread. Rip, if you don't have much experience with the web, you've just found out that it can bring out the worst in people. Aside from sociopaths, otherwise-nice people sometimes write things they would never say face-to-face, goading others into comments, resulting in statements that would get them punched in the face in a bar. It's easy for someone to be drawn into this, and seldom does anything good come of it. This is what happened in the compression ratio thread.

We've never met, but I certainly know who you are and the quality of the work you have done on Vincents over the years. I would hate for us to lose you from this forum over this incident. Please try to put it behind you and learn from the experience that if/when someone writes something goading or disrespectful on the web by far the best way to deal with it is to ignore it. Also, everyone makes mistakes, and even the most technically savvy person will sometimes post something that is incorrect. If someone points out a mistake and insults your ancestors for having produced you, know that most people will think less of the person making the insult, but won't think anything the worse of you for having made the mistake.

Very quickly when joining any forum one figures out whose posts to pay attention to (even if they sometimes make mistakes), and whose to ignore. I pay attention to your posts.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Random thoughts , not all pleasant .
If Rip stops contributing we will have lost a true force of nature . I've known him for decades and his vision was always of a Vincent modernized in many details others seemed blind to . His craftsmanship superb and running top notch . Just because it wasn't my particular cup of tea , I'm a old stick in the mud very satisfied wit most aspects of the standard machine , his methods point to the future . I curl up with one of PEIs books and feel warm and satisfied as I delve into Irving's intent and thoughts .
I would hope there is room for both . Sid .