Removal of Burman Clutch - 1950 Comet

Pharquarx

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am in the process of installing the modified clutch from Conways. I have the chain cover case off and the chain removed. The existing Burman clutch is not coming off easily. Before I go any further, is the existing clutch removed as an assembly with the help of a gear puller, or, do I have to disassemble as I go. Yes, I have all of the references, but alas, no hint as to the way to approach this.
Thanks in advance as always,

sidmadrid

VOC Member
The clutch has an end cover with four mushroom headed nut type things showing. you undo these with a screwdriver as best you can.
These hold the cluth springs which should flop out. The end cover will now drop off. In the depths of that you will find a big nut which is holding the cluth assembily to the gear box mainshaft. When you undo that nut the rest of the clutch will come off. A pneumatic air wrench will make life easy for that.
There is a poor diagram in hptt://www.myvincent.co.uk/mechanics/mechtrans.php which may or may not enlighten you.

Did you get fitting instructions with your new clutch?

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Pharquarx,
Here is a helpful web sight.

http://archives.jampot.dk/Technical/Transmission/Burman_Clutch_rebuild.pdf

Ken Smith

I am in the process of installing the modified clutch from Conways. I have the chain cover case off and the chain removed. The existing Burman clutch is not coming off easily. Before I go any further, is the existing clutch removed as an assembly with the help of a gear puller, or, do I have to disassemble as I go. Yes, I have all of the references, but alas, no hint as to the way to approach this.
Thanks in advance as always,

Piston Pete

VOC Member
There is ,of course ,an easier way ....just ride the bike untill the centre splines wear out .....then the clutch will come off by itself !!! This I know .The Conways Kit is great , well made with great back- up .

Pharquarx

Non-VOC Member
Many thanks to Ian, Sidmadrid and Ken. Should have this completed by the weekend for a Sunday ride. You guys are great.