PT: Exhaust Releasing Exhaust Nuts

eharris

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello all,

I came to take the exhaust off the Rapide and the rear cylinder nut won't undo! I have left it soaking in penetrating fluid and shall try again tomorrow, but any hints and tips welcome!

I don't think it is cross threaded, just that it was last done up by my dad about 30 years ago....

Cheers,

Ed.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
HEAT is the best release method if you can keep it retained. An electric heat gun as some can get extremely hot these days, propane naked flame and all that, aluminum should expand more than the exhaust nut so it will un screw .
bananaman

karl johnson

VOC Member
have you tried a strap wrench but not a chain type i am pretty sure some come as where the wrap around is of a strong woven fabric type ?

eharris

VOC Member
Thanks for the tips.

I bought a cheap strap wrench and applied some heat. Guess what, the strap tore! In its defence I had got most of my weight on it...

So I dug out one of the older K3 spanners that I seem to have accumulated (the shiny galvanised one had bent in a previous attempt), and applied some encouragement with a rubber mallet. Finally, it came undone.

vibrac

VOC Member
I use heat if required and a good hook spanner wrench use the k3 to tighten and final tighten after your first run. Not a hook spanner unless you are taking it with you.....

Albervin

VOC Member
It was a problem when people tightened the exhaust nut after a ride. Eventually the nut was embedded in the thread. Heat, penetrating oil and a copper hammer are your friends.