Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Wiring confusion

Hello Derek

I think that something is getting lost in translation.

red and black join together to a single wire (this is where an isolation switch to prevent battery drain should be fitted)
The red is the chargeing wire. If you connect it to the same switch that you use as an ignition switch then the bike will continue to run on alternator power even though you have switched off. It is only neccessary to isolate the black, sensing, wire as the red one is isolated by diodes. If you really want to use a switch on the red wire then it will need to be a heavy duty one as all of the charge will go through it.

connecting via the headlamp switch to the negative side of the ampermeter.

The alternator is not connected through the headlight switch. What they are saying, I hope, is that the charge should be connected to the same side of the ammeter as the headlight switch.

Alton also state that the bike can be run without a battery if one or both of the black wires from the alternator are disconnected.
True if you have a mag

Any chance of posting the diagram here?

derek

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Peter,
Both the red and black wires are charging wires, as the rectifier is a full wave rectifier,ie from both sides of the sinisoidal wave: Yes I agree that the connection at the head lamp switch is just to connect to the same side of the ampermeter; one side from battery through meter to negative side to circuit at head lamp switch, the othe direct from charging, connecting to circuit at head lamp switch.
The isolating switch does go where I said, either being a separate switch or a double contact ignition switch (one set of contacts for isolation of charging side, the other set for switching ignition) My email address is derek@delro .co.uk if you contract me I will email drawing, as I don't know how to make attachment to this reply. Derek

Shadowman

VOC Member
Chatting to a knowlegable member at the Riders Rally last Sunday about Altons, he told me that it is possible for the battery to run down if not disconnected, should the machine be idle for some time. Is this the case? Has anyone experienced this problem?:confused:

I've got the latest Alton on my Rapide and it works really well showing a charge at just over 30mph in top gear. So well I'm thinking of getting a plasma TV for the handlebars. However it does loose charge when idle but it takes weeks to loose it. Doesn't bother me though 'cos I've got a magneto.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Battery Drain

Derek, I have sent you an e-mail and will be interested to see the latest diagram.

Hello Len.
As you say, starting the bike with a drained battery is not a problem if you have a mag. It is, however, something that Alton advise against. The problem is that if you start the bike with a dead flat battery then it is, effectively, putting a short circuit across the alternator and causing it to charge at its absolute maximum for a long period. Due to the primitive regulator used, this maximum current is not regulated and will burn out the windings.

It should also be noted that it is not the alternator or the charging circuit that causes the battery drain. It is the voltage sensing circuit of the regulator that does this and is the only thing that needs disconnecting.

Last edited:

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I don't know the correct LX technical terms but I have a very neat and small key operated switch let into the headlamp shell on my Rapide. In one position it interrupts the battery + feed to the ammeter + side but connects the magneto cut out to earth and in the other position vice versa. It is therefore impossible to start the bike without operating the switch and connecting the ammeter and disconnecting the magneto cut out so protecting the Alton and regulator against forgetfullness. This seems to stop the battery discharging. Unfortunately I have never been able source a similar switch for my Comet. The Comet will discharge if left for any time so I remove the fuse from the battery negative to earth but with a large and startling notice left on the tank saying 'CONNECT FUSE BEFORE STARTING.