Regulator wiring for Alton

aljobo

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The regulator on my Shadow being rebuilt has 4 wires exiting from it. The one that puzzles me is the yellow one. What is it and what's it connected to?

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Regulator Rectifier wiring

AlJobo,
Send me a quick digital snap and I should be ableto help, as there are a number of possibilities depending upon which Alton you have...

Neil
Possibles are :confused:
AC input (will be 2 wires or more)
Switched live (to activate reg/rec)
Earth
Live out

aljobo

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Neil,
Thanks for your reply.
I will try to take a picture of the regulator, but my garage is not at my home so it will take a day or so. However, my memory of the regulator is that it has a black liquid sealed base, with four wires out - red, black, green and yellow. The new loom I bought of course doesn't have exactly the same colours and the diagram in the books isn't the same as the loom anyway!
Allan

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Alton alternators

Chatting to a knowlegable member at the Riders Rally last Sunday about Altons, he told me that it is possible for the battery to run down if not disconnected, should the machine be idle for some time. Is this the case? Has anyone experienced this problem?:confused:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Chatting to a knowlegable member at the Riders Rally last Sunday about Altons, he told me that it is possible for the battery to run down if not disconnected, should the machine be idle for some time. Is this the case? Has anyone experienced this problem?:confused:
Not here, I leave my battery connected all winter and when I put my Battery Tender on, it shows full charge right away.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Battery discharge

he told me that it is possible for the battery to run down if not disconnected, should the machine be idle for some time. Is this the case? :

Morning, Len

Yes I had exactly this problem, but it was down to a confusing wiring diagram and my ignorance.

There are two wires from the regulator that go to the positive supply. One of them (the red I think) is the charging lead and should be on an unswitched connection to the ammeter. The other (green?) is the voltage sensing lead that the regulator uses to determine battery voltage and er.. regulate. This sensing lead has an extremely low voltage draw, in the order of a few milliamps, and will flatten the battery if left for a couple of weeks. This lead should be connected via the ignition switch if you have coil ignition. For those with magnetos then some means of disconnecting this green wire is required when leaving the bike parked up. This needs to be done with extreme caution as starting the bike up with this wire disconnected will cause the regulator to 'see' a dead flat battery and go to maximum charge voltage with unfortunate results for just about everything electrical on the bike.

Pete

The VOC Spares Company Limited

VOC Member
I can confirm what Pete says, I experimented with a diode in place of a switch but the volt drop across the diode confused the regulator, I spoke to Herve and he agreed.
I now have a small H***a switch with one set of NO and one NC contacts using the open one for the Alton and the closed one as a cutout on the BT-H mag.
Ian

rwhitne2

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Pete -thank you for this bit. My new batt went dead after sitting 2 weeks w/ the new Alton in 9/09. Rechecked things per your Post and the Alton wiring diagram. Did not have a wire from the regulator direct to the ignition switch as the Alton diagram clearly shows. In my diagram, Alton shows it is the black wire that goes to the ignition switch, so I ran a direct wire to the ignition switch on my D. As you say the Red is to an unswitched ammeter connection. Its hooked up now and will be able to ride soon weather permitting - will post back assuming problem solved. Mike

derek

VOC Member
Recent drawing from Alton shows wiring of rectifier/regulator as, green to earth, pink and yellow one to each of the two black wires from the alternator, red and black join together to a single wire (this is where an isolation switch to prevent battery drain should be fitted) connecting via the headlamp switch to the negative side of the ampermeter. Alternatively drain can be prevented by disconnecting the positive terminal at the battery.

Alton also state that the bike can be run without a battery if one or both of the black wires from the alternator are disconnected.